Info Needed By The Boc Brothers: Jug Fishing In The Winter???

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by THE CATFISH HUNTER, Nov 24, 2006.

1. THE CATFISH HUNTER

THE CATFISH HUNTER New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My Boc Fishing Buddy (broke Tip Fishing) And I Were Just Talking About WINTER Jug Fishing The Next Time We Go Out On Monday Night. We Need Some Input From Our Boc Brothers On If This Would Be A Good Or Bad Idea, From Your Vast Experience. Thank You.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To put it in its proper perspective, winter jug fishing is just like winter fishing. The bite slows down in the colder water. Fish don't move as much, so they don't need to eat as much to maintain their weight and strength. BUT, the still have to eat. I think some fish biologist I was talking to this past spring said that a catfish will eat about 20 - 25 percent of its own weight in food a week during the warm weather. When the water cools below a certain point, they eat less than 10% of their body weight per week. So, basically what they are saying is the fish only eat about 1/2 as much in cold water as they did in warm water. Like I said, they still have to eat. The places you will find them in cold water (winter time) is not the same places you find them in the spring/summer. They want access to deep water, but will be suspended in the water column at a depth the temperature is comfortable for them. Find that combination and use the same baits as you did during warm weather fishing and you will catch fish. Gosh, I didn't mean to be so mouthy. LOL. Good luck.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've never tried it. But we do catch lot's of big blues in the winter here. Usually in deep water and good current. I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I'd say probably run them a bit deeper. We run ours 10 foot or less in the warm months and do good. Just have to try it and see.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i run my jugs in 15 -20 ft in the winter, have good luck on 5-8lb channels and blues, but the river that i run in doesnt get much deeper than 30 ft