Info: circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by catfish1516, Dec 24, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    I just bought some 7/0 circle hooks from wally world and i want to know what type and what size bait i should use

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The important part is to have enough of the hook exposed so it can do its job. Most of the time I hook the bait just deep enough to hold it on when I cast, through a corner or edge.

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    the best thing to do with them is throw them in the trash an get some kehal hook i have lost to many fish on them circle hooks

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Circle hooks are my favorites for using cut bait..And also smaller live bait..For bigger live baits I dont trust them.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Buck knows his stuff.

90% of using a circle hook is how you hook the bait. After fishing with some other folks who use them and complain about them, I see why they complain. They try burying the hook in the dang bait!

Cut bait or live bait will both work. Hooking through the eyes and through the back are both good ways with circles. Don't worry about setting the hook really hard like you have to do with other hooks, especially if you are drifting. If you are bottom fishing a good steady pull will work or you can just start cranking.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a friend who believes in letting the fish do the work hooking up no matter what type hook. I guess his way works. In the last three months, he's caught flatheads in the 20-35 lb range from a small river, not to mention a good number of channels and blues.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    This Christmas I got some:

"C" hooks which from reading here will not work all the time.

Also got some new line that says on the box that it too will not work all the time.

Along with that I was surprized to get a new reel that to will not work all the time, wow!!

Yes she got me a rod that goes with the above, yes it too has a sticker that says it will not work all the time.

This year I just need to find a spot where the Flatties bite less often too.

Merry Christmas Baitkiller

:sad_2a:

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Nothing you can buy promises to work all the time, including cricle hooks. Some people like them, some don't. try them out, if you like them then keep using them. If not try s different hook. For anyone to say that circles are flat out junk means nothing more than they are not capable of catching fish with them. In my opinion they work and very effectively.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
  10. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with billcatfish,, either throw em away or straighten the point up so it points out like a "real" hook

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think all types of hooks are good when used for there intended purpose and if you learn how to use them. The type hook that catches the most fish and works the best is the one thats in the water the most with bait on it no matter what kind it is.

12. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Instructions for using circle hooks:

1- Remove from package

2- Insert hooks in garbage

LOL! j/k i know some of you fellas like circle hooks, but i dont like them.:lol: :lol:

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky

Circle hooks work great if the fish are hitting hard!!! What do you do when they don't??? You can't set the hook when using these so-called modern marvels. This is why I went to using Kahles.... the best of both worlds!!!! If the fish hit hard they will set themselves and if they don't ... you can set it. That to me is a win-win proposition. I sure don't want to be setting there watching a fish tug on my line and not be able to catch him. So with that being said, tell me again that anyone that thinks Circles are junk, doesn't know how to fish them... I have tried them and hate them. I got tired of watching!!!!

14. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Part of the problem with circle hook fishing is alot of people use a pole that has too stiff of a tip and do not let the hook do its job. I have used them in the past and hated them but they are a tool if used when the need is for them will work and work well.They are not a first choice hook for me but if I am fishing several poles and cannot watch really close I will set up a different pole with them and use it as a backup to what I am doing.I know several good fisherman that had good fish bury a pole and didnt hook up on them.It will make you wanna pull your hair out in a tournament when bites are a premium.

15. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thank You J W,,
    Thats the way 35 of the 35 flatheads i caught this fall in two weeks bit, they would just sit there and "chew on it"(as i call it) , they would never make that slow run as a flathead does in the summer, if i had been using circles i would still be there waiting.
    I'm curious to see the answer to your question.

I guess Bobpaul is going to tell me i dont know how to catch flatheads now

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes I am waiting on the answer as well, LOL!!!

PS Bobpaul is liable to tell you just about anything LMAO!!!:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

17. Semper_Fi

Semper_Fi New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have been using them this year and am very happy with them. Not one deep or gut hooked fish. The biggest thing to fishing them for me was learning not to set the hook. After 55+ years of fishing, that was not so easy. After I learned to do that, I've had very few missed fish....... In fact, I just got some size 12 circle hook to try in ice fishing season.

Ernie

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I gave circle hooks a shot in 2006, but I'll use Kahle hooks exclusively in '07. Does this mean I have never caught fish on circles? No. Will I throw my circle hooks in the trash? No. I have had more success and I have more confidence in Kahle hooks.