Info About Columbia Bottoms

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Dredge, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Since the river is getting low,theB ottoms seems to be my best bet to put in tomorrow.Is it better to fish the Missouri up toward Chain of Rocks,or down toward the Miss.?Also,where's a good place to cast for bait?my sonar's shot,so I'm fishing blind.Any help would be appreciated.(I can't wait to join Plattin Rock.It's closer and seems well cared for.)

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Can't help ya a whole lot, but Chain of Rocks is on the Mississippi, not the Missouri.

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kutter is right, the chain is on the sippi, down river from where the Mo meets the sippi.There is a good bait creek directly across the confluence on the IL side of the sippi. If your depth/fish finder is kaput I'd recommend fishing structure you can see from above the water like bridge pilings or large dolphins. There are tons of large dolphins on this stretch, starting just upriver from the bait creek I mention. Good luck!

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I tried fishing under one of them there dolphins once, but he wouldn't stay still enough.:wink:

5. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Thanks guys.I must have had a senior moment when I put Chain of Rocks on the Mo.My mom worked at theCanal motel when I was a kid.It's on the Ill.side of the chain.I may just hit Winter Park.Ain't sure yet.I'llpost a report.

6. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I guess it is just my dumb a$$ but what are you calling a dolphin..Mrs Okie isn't around so I can't ask her..:wink: :wink:

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    yeah, what dumb a$$ said . what the hell is a dolphin, is it like a porpoise?

8. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I think he means the backs of wing dykes,where they stick out the water.Sork of like a dolphin's back.

9. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    A dolphin is a man-made marine structure that extends above the water level and is not connected to shore.
    Dolphins are usually installed to provide a fixed structure when it would be impractical to extend the shore to provide a dry access facility. Typical uses include extending a berth (a berthing dolphin) or providing a point to moor to (a mooring dolphin). Dolphins are also used to display regulatory information like speed limits etc, other information like advertising or directions and navigation information like a daybeacon as well as ranges and lighted aids to navigation.
    The structures typically consist of a number of piles driven into the seabed or riverbed and connected together above the water level to provide a platform or fixing point. The piles can be pressure treated wood poles, or steel or reinforced concrete beams, blocks or tubes. Smaller dolphins can have the piles drawn together with wire rope, but larger dolphins would typically be fixed using a reinforced concrete capping or a structural steel frame.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    And yet another point for the nanner puddin lady. :smile2::smile2:

11. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Good lord,woman!I now know more about dolphins than any human schould.hank you for clarifieing that for me.

12. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    You are very welcome. Just another day of schooling the damn Okie. How do you think he got to be so "smart"?

13. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Thank you mrs okie, I have seen those things out there, I just figured they were some ole sticks sticking out of the water. I always said you were the brains of the outfit. Thanks for proving it.

14. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Will I guess seeing the barges tied to them wasn't a hint.....

15. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    well ya learn somthen new everyday ive never heard them called
    dolphins, i worked on the river for several years on a towboat
    and we called them cells

later
    slider

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That sounds a lot more masculine...calling them dolphins sounds a little effeminate.. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for clearing that up Mrs. Okie. Those are indeed the "dolphins" I was referring to. It was the old sailor in me coming out again--we have animal names for everything (we "dog" the hatches shut, we use a "devils claw" to secure the anchor and we even have a "gypsey head" to pull our mooring lines in).:wink:

In addition to the ones like you show in the picture another type of dolphin found on the river are large steel "cylinders" filled with concrete or rip-rap. Anchoring above the latter and casting just in front of (or on either side) can produce some fish. Never caugt a pig this way but it seems a sure bet to land lots od dinks, rats and the ocasional dandy.