inflated or uninflated crawlers?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerellman, May 17, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Which works better, inflated or uninflated night crawlers for channel cats? Does temperature play a part in this?

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    There are different situations in which you use the two. Evethough not all cats cruise the bottom like most think they do, they do not have a problem with grabbing a worm off the bottom. I for one will use inflated crawlers only when fishing with light line because if you have heavy line and wait, its not going to inflate really off the bottom anyway. Also if you are using bigger hooks, it negates the inflated worm as it will not float. Using inflated worms correctly requires smaller lighter size hooks like a size 6 or 8 hook, plus light line size 2-6, and basically a spit shot or small weight. I would rather fish dropper loop style that way when using heavier weight and line which is a great way of keeping the bait off the bottom. So to answer your question, they both work well, it just depends on what size of channels you are targeting. I would only use inflated when I know there nothing but small cats in my area I am fishing. Dropper loop style with heavier line would do just as good as an inflated worm would.

For trout however, inflated worms is the ticket with light line.