inflateable pfd's

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ncfowler, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I got a couple of inflatable pfd's for father's day. they are cool not as hot as the regular pfd's, But, over the weekend i was got checked by the game warden and my pfd was off, and he told me that if you are not anchored you must have one on all the time, I did not know this. Now i was informed, also if you keep a regular one in the boat you can you can take off the inflatable one while in motion. He was real nice about it, i wanted to pass this on to you all. Yes it is in the book.

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    so are you saying if thats the "ONLY" life jacket, then it must be worn but if you have regular life jackets/vest onboard then it's optional? that does make since sorta

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    that is correct in texas. the inflatable is only good if it is on you. if it is laying in the boat it does not count as a life jacket. they are a lot more comfortable to wear than the regular ones. since i got mine i tend to wear it all the time. i don't know if they are better or not, but if you are wearing it, it must be a lot safer.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yes, he was right. Also, that would be a regular life vest for each person in the boat. One won't cover all of you.

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Thanks for the info Jeff !

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I got the two inflatable ones for my clients because of the comfort factor since they need to where them all the time while on board. I use them when i'm out by myself. I guess is that if you don't have a auto inflate it will not do you anygood if you go over but a reg pfd will still float. I need to see the full facts in the games book. I will try to clip and post it later on today.

7. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a sospenders camo pfd that is automatic. It came in the auto mode. I left it that away so if i got ejected it would auto deploy. I had it under the console while fishing anchored in heavy wind. The boat to on some water when a wave came in. About the time i thought " my vest is going to get wet" I grabbed it and it was tooooo late. It deployed. I now know it does not take much to set it off. It cost me 20.00 for a new charge however it was worth it to see how senitive it is.

You can be confident it the automode you will not be underwater very long before it cooks off.

I am undecided if I am going to set it up in the manual mode or back to automatic. As far as comfort they are awsome, you dont get as hot either. It will probably be like your seat belt after awhile you feel naked without it. I recommend them and would buy another one if something happens to it.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I find that my sospenders are so comfortable that I don't even notice I have them on. I've even gotten back to the campsite and suddenly realized that I was still wearing them!