Inflatables

Discussion in 'Boating' started by jailcop2, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Was wondering if anyone uses an inflatable for fishing . I have several small lakes in my area ,20 acres and smaller . I was thinking about getting a inflatable w/ a trolling motor ,floor ,e.t.c. Don't know how my little KIA Sportage will handle pulling a boat , getting it in and out and all , plus the cost of the hitch / wiring . I was looking at the Sevylor 360 ,12ft , probably would get the boat boot and all. What do you think ?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I have tried a truck tube to run a trotline with. first fish I caught punctured the tube.

3. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    That's what I've been worried about. The wife saw an inflatable on sale at walmart for $20, and wanted to get it. with all the hooks and fins around it, it would pop for sure. This just reinforces what I thought. Thanks. :big_smile:

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It wouldn't be my first choice, but then, I don't drive a Kia.:wink:

A good, high quality inflatable should do just fine, but it will prolly cost you an arm and a leg. I'll bet the skateboard will pull a small aluminum boat w/o any problems.

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Brian, I had bought a 12' sevylor inflatable appr. 6 months ago to use around the local rim lakes,etc. lakes which limit elec. trolling motors and such. I got to say for the investment i could not be happier. I had a 54 # thrust trolling motor on hand [new]. I purchased the 12'er which is the sensible choice, you lose too much usable space otherwise. Also the 12' will possibly allow 2 people to fish for a limited time. I bought the boot, motor bracket, cut plywood and made a floor. The floor is imperative to strenghten the base. I have gone out appr. 25 times with this boat with no punctures. I now mainly use it for catfishing, which is on larger bodies of water. I get into coves,etc. when the wind comes up. When you put the boot on you will have to make holes in the boot to inflate the 2 bottom chambers. The reason i like this boat right now is no trailer, no license, fits in the back of my truck. The big question. You are fishing for big channel cats and flatheads with an inflatable what's wrong with you? I carry 1 glove and a plastic tarp in case I have to try and muscle a big cat on board. Good Luck Fishing!

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    A kia will pull a small aluminum boat easily. Dad used to pull our 12' aluminum boat with a 1980 chevette. I think it had something like a 1.8L 4 banger with a carb. That kia probably has almost double the power with its fuel injection and all. The only time we had trouble was on a hill of loose soil. The chevette wanted to spin tires and slide backwards. Luckily with the small boat we were able to disconnect, pull the car up, pull the trailer up by hand and winch the boat up the hill and onto the trailer. Never a problem with an actual ramp. If nothing else you could put a small boat on top of the kia if you have a roof rack.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the input guy's . Looks like I might have mama talked into a small v bottom . So I'm not sure which way I'll go.
    Thanks Again
    Brian