Inflatable vest?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Stump Grinder, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Stump Grinder

Stump Grinder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am thinking of getting a couple of the inflatable vests for me and the wife. I would like a little input on these types of vest (Pro's and Cons) (Auto or Manual). Thanks SG

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i was looking at them and my friends uncle..when we went fishing on the missouri river last ear has those and i wore one and they are awesome there so comfortable and if you need to use it is when it get uncomfortable..not while you r dirving your boat around!!!

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    they are very comfortable, and pricey as well. $250.00 for the mustang tourny vest. $170.00 for the Eliminator. auto way to go, will deploy when you hit the water. if knocked uncon. will keep head above water. rechargeable. prolly find a sale during holidays.

4. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I have 2 suspender type vests with the auto / manual type. Wife and I really like them, cool in summer, often forget I have it on when driving home from the river. Cabela's ussually have them discounted in the winter. I got an extra arming device but not necesary, imo.

5. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Both of ours were under 100 ea.

6. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    I have used the bass pro version for a couple of years. In alabama you must wear it at all times in the boat for it to count. On the manual vs auto version, think about this, a friend of mine who is no longer with us said "have you even heard anybody who has been in a boat accident remember hitting the water?" mine is the auto inflate after that discussion. Comfortable once you get used to wearing it, but you must wear it to get benefit from it. Cons heavy feeling until you wear it a few days. And to conclude, it is getting to be cold enough for me to ask everyone please wear your lifejackets/vests. If you have never been in cold water in the winter you have no idea how quickly you become unable to help yourself, literally seconds to a couple of minutes and they go real quick.

7. Stump Grinder

Stump Grinder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the great input

8. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought mine at Cabela's. They were the Guardian Series auto and manual inflate. They were $74.99 apiece, which was a really good price for that type of vest. They are comfortable and are not bulky, which is what I always hated about wearing a vest. I think it is one of the best investments I've made for the boat.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The money spent on a good life jacket is a sound investment, that can pay great dividends. I have the auto/manual and would recommend it. I gave 139.00 about five years ago from Bass Pro Shops.

10. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I have one bought it from sportsman warehouse love it so far never had to use it thankfully remember since its getting cold to have it on outside all the clothing or it won't work also they have different weight class

11. Stump Grinder

Stump Grinder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the input, Just ordered 2 from Cabelas

12. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Good call :cool2:

13. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I see where you said you just ordered 2 ,i was going to tell you i just got a sales paper from west marine an they got them on sale for 40 dallors off

14. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I know a guy that kept his in the storgae compartment on his boat while not on the water. Every few months it would go off on its own.(store it in a dry area not on the boat) Another friend had his on during a rain storm and it went off.

Also watch out if you throw a net while wearing it. The net can grab the manual release and inflate it when you throw.

15. crappie capt.

crappie capt. New Member

State:
    Rock hill s.c.
    Tim parker has two hanging in his barn FOR FREE LOL:smile2:

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I know a guy that kept his in the storgae compartment on his boat while not on the water...."

That guy is me!!! :eek:oooh:

I had one go off at home, and it went off another time while on the boat.

You need the "hydrostatic activation" model. You can wear these in a driving rainstorm and they will not inflate. They have to immersed in 4" of water to activate. I have one of these and it has never inflated, but a friend has it!!

The "automatic activation" model is what I mistakenly bought. High levels of humidity and rain will activate these vests. Its about $30 for a rearming kit.

BTW, Chrisblue, you still got my Mustang vest??? I left it in your boat at that tournament....

:big_smile:

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I bought 2 of the Mustangs last year at BP. They had a cheaper one on sale but were out of them. Gave me these for the sale price. They are the hydrostatic model. Very comfortable and have forgotten to take it off a couple of times also. Just remember in Mo. you have to have it on to count as a life jacket. I keep others in the boat to cover this if I don't have it on. Got mine for about $80 apiece.