Inflatable small river boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Boss Hogg, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Hey brothers, I just bought this inflatable boat off of ebay for what I think is a good price. Its advertised as made for fishing. Im going to use this on the little miami river behind my house for some catfishing this summer. You know, something to pass the time in between ohio river trips. Has anyone ever owned an inflatable, do you recomend them, and do you think it will hold up well? Any advise comments or tips are welcome. Im putting a trolling motor on back. Thanks.
    Check out this ebay link to view the boat

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7250019889&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I bought a Sea Eagle inflatable over 25 years ago. It sits in my garage unused, as it has for over 20 years. The wind will blow them around bad and it'll take at least a 30lb thrust trolling motor to keep it steady in any kind of breeze. They're a b***h to paddle very far. In other words, I didn't use mine much and can't recommend them unless you are talking about the kind with the hard plastic or fiberglass bottoms with a v shape. As for fishing from one, if you can get it to where you want to fish and anchor it, you'be got plenty of room. Mine has, in addition to the blow up tube floor, a marine plywood floor and made for a good stable platform to fish from. Of course, if it doesn't work out for you, do what I did when my kids were small. I used it as a wading pool for them, makes a great one. That was befor jacuzzi's and hot tubs were in everyone's yard ( still dont' have one and can't afford one) and I was know to fill the raft with water and sit in it on hot days.

3. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya i have one it gets the job done for those small rivers, ponds, lakes.
    But when you land a big fish then its when it gets hard!:big_smile: in the small area

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mark;
    I had a friend some years back get into one of these deals and I almost did at one time too.
    If you will notice the advertisement it says that it will hold up to 4 adults or 425lbs. That is some very small adults!
    I could be wrong, but I think you will be disappointed in the long run. One thing for sure, you will not want to have anything sharp around your inflatable.
    You WILL want to have your personal flotation gear On or at least within short arms reach.
    You should keep away from anything the least bit sharp or pointed while using your boat!
    And, keep a repair kit handy because the first time you don't have one with you will be the time you will need it the most.
    One more thing. This is just my personal opinion, but if I was you, I would NOT trust my life to this inflatable!
    One last thing. There are two old sayings I learned years ago that are just as true today as it was when I learned them.
    1. If it sounds too good to be true; it usually is!
    2. Let the Buyer Beware!
    I don't mean to be negative, and being a human being I could be wrong, but I do encourage you to learn everything you can about this boat, and make sure it will meet, or preferably exceed, your expectations, needs, and requirements before spending your hard earned money!
    I hope this helps you.
    Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Don't know about the inflatable you are considering, but good inflatables aren't a problem as far as hooks go, and if you do puncture the side, most, even the cheapies, have three or more chambers, so instant deflation isn't much of a worry. Now, for a good small creek or river inflatable, its difficult to been the inflatable pontoon boats with a trolling motor...or with just oars. Fly fishermen love 'em, but don't see why they won't work for catfishing. You sit up high and the seats comfortable. Like all inflatables, they'll blow around in the wind, but are great on small bodies of water. Personally, I prefer my kayaks and canoe, though.

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have two inflatable rafts. They are only designed to hold two people though, and in reality, only one comfortably. I tryed to use it for fishing on the northern sections of the GMR, but it is nearly impossible. The wind will blow it all over, if you anchor it, it might be better. It is very hard going upstream in mine. A canoe works a lot better for me.

I now still use them, but only for scouting. I'll tie them both together, me in one, the woman in the other, grab a twelve pack, and float down the river looking for good spots. It is very relaxing and even the woman likes it.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    thank you for this post! i saw this boat at the river a few days ago with kids playin in it. lookin through binoculars i saw north pak written on the boat n wanted to look it up on the net. lol googled and surfed all over net but just north pak got me no results. see now its made by north pak outdoor.
    ummm btw, in the pictures, it shows a small pouch for battery! are trolling motor batteries that small now?

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    lol still get nothing searching for north pak outdoor. searched for aquarius n found same boat for $90 at sams club auction.

9. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    90 bucks...shoot, i would have saved 10 dollars! That pouch for the battery will be worthless. Im putting a trolling motor on it. I hope it works out. If not im just going to resell it on ebay. I think it will be good for small water. This boat didnt say anything about three chambers...so i might be swimming back to shore if im not carefull lol. Thanks for the posts and comments everyone. I will let everyone know how it works when I get it out on the river. How do you think it would run with a 30 Hp johnson on the back? j/k

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    watch the shipping costs at ebay. $33 shipping is ridiculous!

11. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I think you will enjoy you're little rubber boat. I had one for about 10yrs. and used it on big mountain lakes like this one below, Timothy Lake. You can't use anything over 5 horse motor and I just happened to have a friend with a motor just that size. We trolled for Sockeye in about 80ft. of water and had a blast. As far as poking holes in them, I'm sure they have made improvements since mine but it had seperate walls/liners so if one side leaked the inner liner did not. you could colapse front, back, both sides, and never get wet because of the inner liner. I see yours has PVC inner Tubes so you are in even better shape than we were. By all means keep safety first and foremost. Gas is no respecter of vinal, rubber, PVC, or any other substance especially when it's burning. Finally It's your boat but I'd never go higher than a 5 horse motor.
    Don

Attached Files:

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i like how they think 4 people can weigh under 425... thats less then 105 a person... i don't know many fishermen that can do that in 3 people... 150 a piece puts you at 450 plus tackle and the optional motor... means i could barely fit me and my Lab in the boat lol...

It also looks like its got some cheapy materials with it but i don't know thats just what it looks like.... as long as it holds air, and you can get out on the water and catch fish with it i don't see a problem with it at all...

13. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Alright, finally got the boat out onto the water last weekend. It really sucked man. Me and a buddy of mine who is about 6'2" (he also has a glass eye, which I didnt really need to tell you about) took the boat out to a gravel pit. It was so cramped and so hard to fish out of. It was so small and cramped. I might resell it on ebay.