inflatable live vest and life belts

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Mar 25, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I once read where cuz or kutter were using inflatable life vest. I went to bass pro and was checking them out. I am some times guilty of not wearing mine and I have decieded to always wear one. The one I have now is a little bulky. Anyway at the bass pro site I seen these inflatable life belts. They looked pretty neat. Anyone ever use them? They seem a lot easier to wear than a vest.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    A wise purchase Patrick. I've found I'll wear the auto inflates alot more as they just arnt that cumbersome like a traditional vest. Once you wear it a few times, you'll forget you even have it on.

The auto inflate belt will help hold you on the surface, however if your unconscious when you hit the water, it might not hold your head up right like a full auto inflate vest would. Thats the only drawback I can see.

Good rules of thumb I think alot of use is if the boat is in motion, or you are anchored in current, wear the vest. Most of us take em off when we are anchored on dykes or in the slack water.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Patric, that is what Kutter uses, I had just asked him about it last week. I think that is what I am going with, BUT either way, right now Cabela's has them on sale.... I am thinking about riding over there Sunday to try on a few of the systems as I have heard that some models the neck area will rub yer neck raw after a day, and others are great. So figure I will try them on before hand..... just check the price with Cabelas, not try'n to sway a purchase just noticed they were on sale for certain brands.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As a reminder, the law says if you are counting the inflatable as your PFD, it must be worn at all times while in the boat. Regular PFD's may be taken off, but not the inflatables. It is legal to have regular PFD's onboard and count the inflatables as a backup system, which would allow you to take them off.
    Patrick, I have both belt & vest Sterns Inflatables that I got from Cabela's. I have heard that the Mustang brand is also good.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I find it easier and more comfortable to just not fall in.....:wink:

Sorry, don't mean to belittle safety, but at the end of the day, it's my decision. How many of you guys drive to the ramp without your seatbelt, only to diligently put on your PFD when you get in the boat?

6. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Back when I was sailing fthe high seas or a living we would stock our rescue boat with the inflatable type lifevests (mustang I believe). Anyway, because they were less bulky some of the deck crew would prefer them over the regular work vests we made them wear when doing work over the side of the boat--like painting. These vests using a little white tablet, kind of like an asprin, that when it gets wet dissolves and POOF!! the vest inflates. That was all well and good except when the guys would be working in say a torrential rainstorm or something (like we sometimes get here in MO) and the vest would go off inadvertently. No big deal really as the vests can be recharged with a Co2 cartrige and a new tablet, but the explosive force of these activations can be a little startling. I remember one time in particular when we had a guy on the bosun chair over the side and when his life vest inadvertently went off it startled the shit out of him so much that he actually fell off and into the drink! He was safely recovered so all is well....but something to keep in mind if you decide to go this route.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Not falling in is a good plan, but it's nice to have a backup ready for when things don't go as planned.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I bought 2 Mustangs at BP last week. Had the $189 on sale for $129. Had gift cards to cover one. They are 35# buoyancy. Figured that would be better in cold weather when wearing more clothes and boots. They were actually running the $169 on sale but didn't have any so they gave the deal on the more expensive ones.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    As a matter of fact I DO wear my seatbelt at all times and I wear my lifevest for the most part at ALL TIMES unless in some really slack water and anchored. I NEVER take it off when fishing alone.

STUFF HAPPENS and you never know what that might be!!!! No one plans on that submerged tree taking out their boat, prop fouled in a submerged rope or even your own anchor line tilting the stern upstream, or a battery explosion and resultant fire or tripping, slipping etc........ask Harold Dodd how quick a boat can go down.:eek:oooh:

Safety police.....over and out!:wink:

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Dan I guess I have been lucky, 7+ years and still have not had one to go off on me in rain. And I have fished in rains where the pumps ran full time. But your right get water up on the little pill and its going to go off.
    Most that I have been around that has had them go off. The pill was out of date. There only good for 12 months. Then there going to start to come apart. And when that pill starts to crumble it does not take much to set them off.
    Could it have been they were in a way that where they were tilted allowing the water to run up the vest? I know we will be replacing ours this year or next year. When I bought the SOS suspenders of mine. They has just been released the fall before. I think I had to pay $124.95 each for both of them. been worth way more.
    One thing I can't get over we have people that buy the manual ones. If you fall in and can't pull the cord what use would they be?
    Pete

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I am buying the manual. It is better than the one I wear now (none) unless on big waves. Then i would wear my reg vest and keep the belt on when anchored.

I agree that the use of the vest or belt is a choice. When it becomes a law, then I will wear to the letter of the law. To me, I am one of those guys that believes when it is my time to go, then i guess i will be going.

12. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I wear mine anytime I'm travelling the Miss..And always when working the anchor.One time getting caught in a line and pulled in....well,you get the rest.I don't usually wear it after I'm set on my spot.I guess part-time saftey beats none.

13. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    This could have been the case. Another reason is that after replacing the "pill" and C02 cartridge you have to take care on how you repack the vest so that the pill is properly shielded. Regardless, the guys used these things like work vests and got into all kinds of different positions with them as they did their jobs so ya, I'd say we used them in a non-conventional manner.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ah, catmen I see.:wink:

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The new models are supposed to be designed not to go off in the rain, BUT my question is, DAN, Why and the sam heel were you painting in a down poor? :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I had one of the inflatable life preservers go off while stored on my boat from moisture. Opened up the lounge seat to find an open, and deflated life preserver. :roll_eyes:

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    And personally I could care less who wears a seat belt or PFD..... your choice. just don't get pissy when I want to take 30 seconds to put mine on......

Besides Branden you mostly a sleep in the bottom of the boat anyway :smile2: :wink: :tounge_out: :smile2:

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I was kind of grouchy yesterday:smile2: I'm the same way, couldn't care less if you wear one or not and wouldn't say a word either way:wink: I know I should probably wear a lifejacket - but I should also eat more vegetables, use less tobacco, and do all kinds of other stuff I don't really want to and don't have to and nobody mentions those things all the time - probably because it would be considered rude. "Hey, you really gonna eat that?" , "How many cigarettes are you going to smoke, don't you know those are bad for you?":smile2:

Depending on where you look, the odds of death by drowning are about 1 in 8900, car crash 1 in 100, suicide 1 in 121 (didn't know I was such a risk to myself:smile2:), and heard disease 1 in 5. Those numbers are from 2001 and lifetime odds.

Overall I'd be better spending the lifejacket money on a safer car, a gym membership, or contributing to a suicide prevention hotline :smile2:

I'm not at all trying to say people shouldn't wear lifejackets, just that pretty much everyone on here reading these posts is an adult who can make whatever choices they want about their own personal safety:wink:

My advice if you prefer to wear a PFD is to get a vest of some sort. If you really want to be safe one that would allow your face to sit in the water when you're unconscious to me is kind of silly.

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Your right Brandon, everybody has a choice. They have to make that choice before they ride in my boat. Being captain, I get to make my own rules. Could care less what folks do in their own boat, though. Same goes for riding in my truck, it's seat belts all around or ride with somebody else. I don't feel it's rude. I simply choose to not go the rest of my life feeling responsible should somebody die while in my care. We all have choices and these are mine.

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Well said CAPTAIN! Reps to you!

I seem to remember after that guy drowned at Weldon Springs last year everyone was vowing to start wearing life vests. That lasted a couple weeks at best.

Frankly do what you choose, not trying to be the police here.....but it just isn't a smart idea to me on the rivers we run to not take a SERIOUS look at the predicament you could be in if you fell overboard with no flotation.

DEAD.....or ALIVE.....how do you want to come out of this if something happens?