Inflatable decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Believer, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Have any of you used them and do they work well?
    It seems to me that they might be too shiny.

Thanks!

Eric

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I don't think they'd handle a stray pellet very well.

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That's a good point!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    What was said about hitting them with a stray pellet has taken the lives of many decoys. Yet that problem could be fixed with a waterbed patch or something of that sort. I hear they blow up within a minute or so, and carry very easy. The downside I think to them would be overall durability of them. After being blown up, stuck in the ground, attacked by turkeys, drug around the woods for a season would take a toll on them. Not even the foam ones can take it very good. I think speed would be another factor, yes they would be great for setting up with the right amount of time. Yet you dont always have time to blow them up if your running around the woods chasing a gobbler. Plus if your set up fails and you need to move fast to catch back up to the turkey it would be a hassle to to deflate them, or if you stick them in your vest quickly then try to crawl through the woods while trying not to pop your deke. They can be very productive tho, they look real and move good in little wind. So just think about your type of hunting and see if they could play apart in it.

5. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've used the inflatable decoys before and they worked great. They were very compact and easy to inflate. As for them being shiny, that actually is a good thing. If you ever watch a turkey in a field with the sun shining down on it, they to are very shiny. One other nice thing about the inflatable decoys are that they are light so if you have a good breeze the decoy rotates at ease creating a lifelike effect. I tested a few different decoys last year and still enjoy hunting with the feather flex most. Good Luck!

Tony

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks!
    I've been looking at a lot of decoys, but haven't made any decisions yet.

I'm excited about hunting this spring, it will be my first time turkey hunting, but i'm also kinda disappointed because I ended up getting a tag for 4 th season.
    Between my being a newbie and then having to wait until 4th season, this may be nothing more than a learning year. :lol:

7. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I have used the sceery blow ups for several seasons. They are light and easy to set up. I did have one puncture from saw brier but it patched up easily.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I can't believe y'all take blow up dolls into the woods! :lol:

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Only you would say that. :lol: Darn liberals anyway :tounge_out:

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Only difference between a Liberal and a Conservative is the Liberal wants to make it legal, and the Conservative says it wrong but does it under the cover of Darkness and the privacy of the net! :tounge_out:

11. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i have a friend that uses them and he has that problem with the stray pellet. he says though that their so cheap it doesnt matter much anyways. they work well from what hes said about them

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've always used Feather Flex, and when something works for me it's hard for me to change my ways.

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Thats all I use Doug. And like, you when it is working, it's hard to change. I try to convience new comers to use heavy shot, cause of it's long range killing power. I've used it goose hunting, and stoned geese 50yrds out. But, I've killed all of my turkeys using copper #5's (Federal) and it is hard for me to change to heavy shot, because of the sucess.
    A friend of mine's wife shoots a 20ga hunting turkey, and has crippled three different Tom's at 30-35 yds. When she switch to Heavy Shot, she has dropped every Turkey in its tracks.
    I'm not saying you should use this product and start shooting game at 50yds, I'm advocating that it has more killing power, than standard shells. I still maintain keeping your shooting distance to 40yds and closer.
    If you have never tried Heavy Shot, give it a try. Just make sure you pattern your gun. I've found a Mod. Choke works best for goose hunting.
    Sparky

14. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Eric we have used them here in Indiana and they look great, but the problem we had with them was we like to run and gun and they just are to hard to do that with. So we went with the Montana decoys and are liking them very much. Best of Luck this season!!!!:0a22: