Inflatable boats - Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Ellis, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Well I got about $600 saved up for my boat now and I was wondering Are Inflatable boats anygood? Im afraid if i get one it will be hard to balance on and ill tip over.

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't believe I want one, I think you would be better off waiting in one that is solid.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning Ellis, First To Answer Your Question About The Stability Of The Inflatables, Yes They Are Stable. I Have A 8' Zodiac.

As With Anything, There Are Pros & Cons. The First Thing Is That They Are Very Heavy In Comparision To An Aluminum Jon Boat, So If Your By Yourself, Managing It Can Get Tough. Keep In Mind That They Are Also Subject To Punctures And Tears, That Will Require Repairs If At all Possible Depending On How Severe It Is.

The Next Thing Is That Most Of Them Have Very Low Sides, So You'll Basically Have To Sit On Your Butt Instead Of A Seat. The Main Reason Why I Own One Is When I'm Hunting & I need To Get Across Some Shallow Water To An Island, I Can Oar It Across Very Quietly.

In my Opinion You Can Buy A nice Aluminum Jon Boat With The $$ You Have And Will Be Happier In The Long Run, JMHO. Elliot

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Inflatables are nice,even the military use them so yea they're probably fairly stable.But still,I don't think,I'd want one.I want something that is puncture resistant abd where I fish most of the time I feel the current for the most part is just too swift,and it could prove very dangerous and even fatal.I think you should excersise great caution if using as inflatable.Just my opinion,good luck!-----pk powell:eek:oooh:

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd keep saving your money unitl you can get something aluminum and a little bit bigger.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Another point is that the top of the line inflatables are pretty decent, but they are big money, hold off and get yourself a decent john boat or deep v, then adda nice trolling motor to get you aaround, then save up for a motor,

Salmonid

7. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would not get 1 its a wast of money they are not good fishing boats

8. A.Williams

A.Williams New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Heck you can get a 12 foot john boat for 400 bucks through bass pro shop. That would be the best route and as you save up ur money you could get either a electric trolling motor or a gas one which ever you can afford and cant live without.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Get a kayak, great solo fishing craft for lakes or rivers. Mine is a 13'8" Old Town Loon sit inside. Very stable for a fat guy like me. I paid $300 used. For $600, you can find a used one that will work. If you are near Cincy or Cleveland, maybe even Dayton, or a big city in the state next to you, look on craigslist for those cities. If you have questions about a particular kayak, I can answer them.

10. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    if i were you i would just save up some more money and buy one that you know that you will like and be satisfied with.

11. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Thanks everyone, Ill just save up for a nice one. I only fish I had a job that paid me $100 an hour instead of $7 so i could get one of those nice $15,000 boats:lol:

12. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you have 600 dollars and are looking for an inflatable I would recommend skipping that and getting one of those new resin/plastic boats filled with foam. I've been looking at getting one myself. They are extremely sturdy, very lightweight, and most have I believe a 500-600 lbs. weight limit, meaning you can get 2 people in it, even if it does exceed the limit a little. They are very durable, I've seen people simply hook them on the back of a four-wheeler and drag them over pavement, gravel, then through mud, rocks and brush to get the the lake or a pond with no damage but some scratches. They aren't some cheaply made things like what most would think when they hear "plastic boat." I'll try to find a link and post it in a little bit.

13. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
  14. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I have to agree, if it were me I'd go with basshunter boat over the inflatable.

15. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    I agree with the other posters above. I had a 13 ft inflatable with a 3hp outboard that worked ok. If a wind comes up you pretty much go where you get blown to. I carried it deflated in my van. Inflating it was a chore. I used 3 portable air tanks that I filled to 100psi at a truck stop but that still didn't completely fill it. Than I bought a big 'ol gas leaf blower to put volume into it and topped the pressure up with my tanks. Finally sold it and got a 10ft alum. jonboat and 9.5 Evinrude that I can carry in a pickup. It's fine for calm water.

16. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Ellis,

The brothers and sisters of B.O.C. are giving you some good advice. Inflatable boats are not very good for fishing. Sure you can do it but it is like pounding a nail with a rock. Best of use the right tool for the job.

I have used and owned many boats including several inflatables. Here is a link to my military surplus Zodiac F470:
    http://www.navcraft.com/iab/
    The Zodiac is hands down the toughest and best inflatable available. It is a great boat but I would not want to fish from one. An aluminum jon boat will be a much better choice. If you are doing spec ops style night recon then the Zodiac F470 is the best choice. When it comes to a shoot and loot you cannot beat a 470.

I have a RiverPro HiPro for cat fishing and the Zodiac F470 is for, er.....well that is no one's business but mine. :wink:

17. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I bought an inflatable last year. Used it a few times, but it was not what I was looking for. Mine is a top-of-line of a discount manufacturer. I bought a 12' aluminum Sears Gamefisher yesterday, and I believe I will be much happier with it than the inflatable. It was heavy, somewhat awkward, and just not fun to fish in. Maybe the higher end (Zodiac, ect...) are a lot better, I don't know.

18. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i believe you could find a good used jon boat with trolling motor for $600