infected bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by adam1886, May 19, 2008.

1. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    the past few years ive noticed the bass in my pond have became infected with yellow trematodes.atleast thats what ive found on the internet and think they are.does anyone have any experience with them and know how to or if i can get rid of them? the website says they are not harmfull to humans but it still makes me leary to eat them and it doesnt say whether it is harmful to the fish or not. any advice is helpfull thanks. here is the website i found on them, its the yellow thing in the fishes fin called trematode(fluke)

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    most bass and sunfish i have caught out of stock tanks had those in the fillets. it's fine to eat the fish, heck after you fry them you can't find the little things. i don't know if they eventually kill the fish or not though.

3. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    thanks.i kept 6 small bass out of my pond the other day and only had two fillets two worms in it.i figured the heat would kill it but i pulled the out anyways and after i seen them movin around i had two toss them two pieces out,i just couldnt eat it thinkin about that:smile2:

4. crazy4cats

crazy4cats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    just dont eat the bass
    catfish and crappie taste much better

5. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    While it might b debatable whether or not i'm OK, i have picked dozens of those yellow worms out of fillets and then cooked them, I haven't had any problems with them hurting me anyhow. I'll normaly let the fillets soak overnight in fresh water then cut out them yellow'ens and soak another night before freezing them. I feel that after the soak there alot easier to c than trying to spot them on a bloody fillet.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have you contacted your DNR yet and see what they say, if not they might lead you to the rite place?:big_smile: