Inexpensive 308 what do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by okiecop, Apr 7, 2008.

1. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I am looking at getting an inexpensive .308 for deer/hog hunting. And maybe even a long shot at antelope out in eastern colorado so I need it to have some range also. I am thinking either the Mossbegr 100 ATR or stevens 200. I am open to other rifles also. I just think the .308 is an ideal round for this type of hunting.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Either of the rifles will be OK , I like the Stevens a little better. The 308 is a fine round, I think you would be happy with it.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I bought an ATR 30-06 last year to replace my 30-30 for deer. Only complaint I have is you must remember to make sure you pull the bolt completely back when chambering a round. If you just pull it back far enough to eject the casing and load another round it will not cock the hammer most of the time. maybe all bolt actions are like this. I have always used used a lever action. It isn't that big of deal once you know about it. I did try and shoot twice last year and nothing happened. I had to load another round to re-cock the hammer to make the shot. Other then this little item, the gun shot flawless and strait. Killed every deer I shot at.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i just read about marlin's new centerfire bolt gun, but i don't know if it's chambered in the .308. i shoot the weatherby vanguard in .30-06 and it has been a great rifle. i have shot vanguards in other calibers and haven't had a problem with any of them. something else that might be worth looking at is the savage 110 line, i think it's the 110 fxp. it's got an accu-trigger 3-9x40mm simmons scope and a blind magazine. i know they chamber those in .308. hope this helps.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
  6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    1. Weatherby, vandguard, 308 win about $325.00
    2. CMP M 14 Semi auto 7.62 425.00 to 3500.00 depending
    3. Savage
    4. winchester M70
    5. Mauser 8mm 299.00 Switch barrel to 308 win it will be a tack driver. Under 600.00

I highly recommend the weatherby its right when you get it!

7. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm certainly no expert on HP rifles since we can only kill varmints with them here. I shopped around for a coyote gun a couple of years ago before I bought a blue, synthetic stock Savage .223 with AccuTrigger. It shoots very well for a shooter of my limited ability. My old Texan hunting partner hunted everywhere for everything for 60 years and said if he could only have one HP rifle it would be in 30-06 due the huge variety of ammo available. Light bullets high velocity, heavy bullets great muzzle energy etc.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a friend who has a Savage .308 w/Accutrigger and really likes it.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can pick up the Remington 700 SPS for real reasonable and will get anything done you want it to. They've got a new trigger that's supposed to be better than the old one. I find that hard to believe though, but they are great and accurate rifles, just not pretty.

10. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Think I'll save up and see what is available come closer to deer season. Lot of other rifles mentioned here that I had not thought of. Thank you to all who have posted so far.

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Savage Model 12FV, Accutrigger, full floated button rifled heavy barrel, dual pillar bedding, oversized bolt handle. Available in .308 Winchester. Suggested Retail $620.00, but I have found that they go much cheaper at a volume dealer like Gander Mtn. IMO they are about as well built and out of the box accurate as they come for the money.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Never owned one But if I ever get a another round for the gun cabinet im gonna try it. I have heard great stuff about this weapon.

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    My 7.62 is a 300 weatherby fully tricked out! It is as good as you can get!

Its in my profile.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You might try out a NEF handi rifle,They are a single shot B/O not sure on the accuracy tho. I do know they are around 250.00

15. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    Yeah, that's a nice rifle,but, that bull barrel is going to be painfully heavy before the end of the day, if he has to do much hiking.:angry: He should be able to get something similar, but, with a lighter barrel.:big_smile:

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've got the Remington VS SF in .308. 3 digit serial number. It's no longer available. It has the 26" fluted stainless barrel.
    Great shooter, extremely accurate but it's not a woods gun or a toting gun.
    If you got one and you do alot of walking when you go hunting you start toting this thing around BEFORE the season starts.

Hog hunting, I'd stick with a short barrel. You can tell a big difference in toting a 26" barrel compared to even a 24" barrel through the woods.
    That 2 inches is about like falling off a building with a 100' drop cord.
    You'll never hit the ground because that drop cord will find something to hang up on before you get there.

Where I would put my money?
    Stainless steel barrel and action. Quality synthetic stock. Not a junk one.
    It's nice hunting in wet conditions and not having to worry about rust or moisture warping the stock.
    Wipe her down and rack her.

I know I wont ever buy another hunting rifle that isnt a stainless synthetic.
    Fun gun is a little different.
    I got a hankering for a Henry Golden Boy chambered in .17.

17. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hey Ray
    Something else you may want to consider is the cal, 260,270,280 and 8mm(.323).
    You can get a 8mm mauser for 299.00 plus shipping. My Dad brought one back from WWII and it was my first exposer to a HP Rifle. It is a great weapon. It will lay a deer or hog out flat. It is a good long distance shooter without a scope. Not real pretty but a great shooter.
    If you choose to you could buy a white (7.62/308 win) and have it put on the action.

18. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    if your lookin for a hog huntin rig ill tell you what i just got and i think its th best way to go. get an unissued yugo sks 7.62x39 for less than 300 bucks. you gottu completly disasemle and clean th cosmoline with kerosene. then ull have the sweetest little baby out there. bang bang :big_smile::cool2: its th buty way to go:smile2:

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id go with a savage.they are not expensive but shoot very well.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ray.Sad but true.The way the economy is shaping up there are going to be a lot of good rifles sold before next hunting season.I look for the market to be flooded and folk taking what they can get for them.Think about it.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee