Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1

Registered
Mr Tom does your tank freeze over and do the fish survive?

Reactions: cadyman

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
Wesley, I think you meant lake/pond instead of tank. My pond is one surface acre in size and does freeze over each year. The ice only gets around 3 or 4 inches thick usually so the fish can survive. What I keep a close eye on the keeping oxygen in the water. As long as the sun penetrates the water, the lake will produce some oxygen. I also have an aerator to pump oxygen into the pond in two places. It is on a timer and runs 15 minutes in the morning and evening and 30 minutes at noon.

The most dangerous time for the fish is when Ice is on the pond and then it gets covered with snow shutting the light out. During that time I adjust the timer to stay on longer. The defused bubbles not only aerate the water but also melt thru the ice and snow to allow chlorine gasses to escape.

Now if you were asking about the river, it has a strong current and the moving water does not freeze. But the local reservoirs generally do freeze over for a few days most years.

Hope that answered your question.

Registered
Wesley, up until the time I enlisted I hadn't been exposed to folks from much of anywhere except where I was from, two of my Army buddies were from Texas and were always talking of swimming in a watering tank, I just assumed they had a big tank for watering their cattle and were using it to take a dip in but soon found out they were talking about ponds. I live S.W. of Tom about 3 hrs. and our ponds freeze over, up until about 15 years ago it was a given it would get thick enough to walk on sometime during the winter but the past several years have seen very little safe ice for ice fishing. This year we got a ice covering then a 3 inch covering of snow so in never got thick enough to fish but stayed on a long time. My ponds are deep enough I don't experience ice kill, but having said that, yesterday I walked around one of them and found a large blue gill dead against the bank I couldn't find any external sign of injury so it either died from ice over or maybe it was just it's time to die from natural causes. Glad I only found one.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
That Indy Water temp hit 50* this afternoon. Backing down some during the night but with the low tonight at 51* and tomorrow night at 60* with the next two day being around 65* the water should warm faster.

Reactions: cadyman

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Well that rain we had in the last 12 hours helped shoot the water temperature up. The temperature went up about 4 degrees fast. Keep that in mind that rains have a more rapid effect on water temperatures.

White River temperature is at just over 54 degrees.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Haha,,,, So everyone watch out for Stacee,,,,,He has worms. lol

When I was a kid we (my brother and I) used to spend hours looking for them. We would also go up to the creek, behind the school, to get crawdad too. Great channel cat bait.

tight lines

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
When you get a warm (relative) rain and it brings the river water temperature up 4 degrees, guess what a cold rain will do.

dag blasted weather.. Some might refer to this as a hitch in the get-along.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
47 ain't all bad. I just wish they would quite babying that pool and dumping all the water into my pool.

The pass it on pool

The here you go pool

I know, I know. Country folks can't get internet or cell coverage but here is some extra water. haha

Premium Member
Yep now you see why I was in the Louisville pool Saturday instead of where I wanted to be haha

We can normally pull a few fish out of there but it wasn鈥檛 happening Saturday! Worked both those spots you know about over pretty good and tried some new ones. Just couldn鈥檛 make em bite.
1.8 flow and a NE wind didn鈥檛 let us drag much with the 55lb trolling motor to try to find em...
But a bad day fishin is still better than working! It鈥檚 just good to get out there!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
Yep. Today is supposed to warm up nicely which should bring it back up some.

Registered
Stacee from Indiana
I thought I could fish the river this weekend.
Looks like I might have to throw some nightcrawlers in a pond or lake to see what's biting.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting graphs. I didn't know Certerton had a temp gauge and I am a little skeptical on the accuracy of it. That sharp drop on the 17th fro 50 to 35 degrees seems extreme. May have just been a glitch in the gauge.

We do have some good temps coming that should bring the water temps back up nicely.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts