Indoor air condition drain

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by steveg442, May 31, 2006.

1. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Need some help. The drain on my a/c keeps leaking on the floor of the washroom. I've checked the line and inside the drain hole for a clog and found nothing. When I unscrew the fitting the water pours out in a steady stream. Any suggestions on how to get this to drain down the hose and not the floor?

P.S. Mama said I can't go fishing until I get this fixed.

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    does it have a drip pan installed with it? sometimes they get clogged up

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    also sometimes there is a rubber washer incerted in the line and it will rot or just break...hope this helps

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    When mine does that, the drip pan is plugged. Mine is in our attic, so rather than climb up there I jsut use the wet dry shop vac and unplug it. I have to do it every spring.

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't think most AC's even have a drain on the inside of them. Make sure they're in the window right and tilted outward - most of the water comes out the back side. But they do have a small water compartment on the inside. If that thing is filling up and making a mess that means it's too humid in your house and it's time to set up a dehumifier :D

If it's humid enough to fill it up then it's humid enough for mold to grow too. I keep 2 running from mid spring till late fall.

~
    Brian

6. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yes there is a drip pan under the a-coil. When the unit shutdown I can hear water dripping into the plenum box and then runs out onto the floor. I've taken it apart but I can't find a clog or a plug in the line or the drain pan.

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Go to your local HVAC supply store. You'll need to get some green tablets and drop them in the drip pan area.
    Dust,and other things will clog up the line.
    Go outside first where the condensate line exits the house. Put a shopvac hose on it and seal it tite.Turn on shopvac and then go back inside. Take some very hot water and pour in the pan. Try gently probing around where the drain is attached to the pan till you feel the suction from the vac. Also check you pan with a flashlight underneath for cracks or holes.
    The green tablets usually come with a jug of inside coil cleaner.
    (This needs to be done once or twice a year too.(cleaning inside coils)

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Steve- (and any others that may need future help) I was a heating & A/C contractor for a number of years (30+).

Sounds like your A/C is freezing-up, this allows the condensation to bypass the drainpan & run anywhere else it can go. A number of things can cause this: low refrigerant charge, dirty filters, dirty evaporator coil, dirty blower, any other restriction of airflow (too many registers closed-off, furniture over cold air returns, etc.).

Look at the larger copper line (suction line) going into the evaporator coil & see if there's frost on it while the A/C is running.....and check your filters, we'll go from there.

What brand of A/C is it? & age?

Smitty

9. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just purchased my first home and just turned the AC on. It ran non stop for 2 days and I turned it off to see what the deal was. A few minutes after I turned it off 3 or so gallons of water poured out of the ceiling near the cold air return. I was confused. I discovered that I neglected to remove a metal plate they put in the return during the winter and the humid air condensated on the return duct. When there was no air moving up the duct the water fell to the ground. It made quite a mess. I'm not sure if you're looking at this type of problem or not but hopefully it will help out.

Curt

10. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Smitty,
    Thanks for the reply. The system is tight. It was dirt in the pans for the a-coils. I cleaned it and the hose and have not had a problem since. I aprreciate all the ideas.

Thanks again for the helpful hints.