Indigo Snake

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Poppa, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I got this in an email and thought you all would enjoy it.

From a friend in west Texas :

I always heard my Dad talk about the Blue Indigo Snakes (Black Racers or Cow Suckers in KY) he used to know while ranching in the Brackettville/Spofford area before moving to the present ranch in about 1932. He always said, no one bothered them, because they killed and ate rattlesnakes. Of course I thought it was a tall tale, because I never sawone on the present ranch. But while working for the King Ranch down in deep South Texas , I saw several of these snakes. They were big, long and the color of Indigo or Blueing they used to use in dying clothes. Never sawone eat a rattler, but I guess the truth does come out now and then. Enjoy the attached photos. Send to all your friends in South Texas and those who hunt down that way to let them know there are good snakes out there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the post and sharing the pics.

3. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    That's really sweet! Never seen that before

4. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    That is one neat set of pics, gosh thanks for sharing!

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Memories, I had one years ago. Mine was almost solid black and over 5 feet . Never fed it rattlers tho.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great series of pics,Thanks for sharing with us.Reps as soon as I get reloaded.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What a great series of pictures! I didn't know that indigo snakes would do that; I'm not that familiar with them. Thanks for posting those.
    At my veterinarian's office he has a series of pictures of a kingsnake killing a copperhead; really cool.

8. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks for sharing. Never seen nothing like that!

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for shearing the pic's and when there fighting if the rattler bites the indigo it will kill it also

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the story and pics. Any snake that will kill a poisinous snake is a good snake for sure. Reps to you!!

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    MANY of the constrictor type snakes eat venomous snakes, as well as mice and other small rodents. ANY of these snakes should never be harmed as they are very beneficial to man. By the same token, venomous snakes ALSO eat rats and small rodents, and should also NEVER be killed, but rather relocated, if around households. GREAT post! Reps out to ya!
    Bill in SC

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Interesting post and great pictures!

I can relate to rattlers since I spent 54 years in west Texas. But I never saw anything like that.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Wow, that's just too cool; I'd heard that they would keep rattlers and copperheads away but had no idea that they'd actually eat them.

When we moved where we live now (22 yrs ago) I found a snake skin about 5' long in the attic of the house; later that spring my wife found the snake, a cowsucker, in the basement while doing laundry, it was actually climbing right up the cinder block wall; she's not afraid of them and caught it and threw it outside. Well, she had to throw the snake out of the house two more times that same year; I finaly figgered out it was coming in through a drain in the basement and put a grate over it.

Anyway, sorry to say, I burnt off a hillside the following spring and accidently burnt that snake up in the fire; I found it's carcass later.

14. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
  15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Great pics! I love snakes. Used to have an eastern kingsnake & named it after an ex girlfriend. They both were cold blooded & had a communications problem.

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Neat pics thanks for sharing. I saw one once while down on on hunt in texas. Cool snake.

17. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Wonder if he had a beer chaser with that?:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hes a nice one and healthy looking to :big_smile: