Indicators of fish behavior

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by katsandsuds, Dec 9, 2008.

1. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    When I am heading to the lake, I begin looking at other animals to see how they are behaving, and I feel this gives me a good idea of how the fish are behaving. I have watched cows since I was a kid (had pastures up and down my dirt road), and if they are bedded down, I have noticed that the fish follow the same pattern. They won't be very active, and I know I will have to search harder to find them. Deer the same way, if they are feeding and moving, the fish will be on the move. These are not 100% indicators by any means, but I have some faith in it. I think most animals are reacting to weather patterns in a similar fashion, and it gives me some indication on how to gameplan for the day.

I am wondering if you guys have any other indicators that you look for to give clues about how/where the fish are on a particular day. I think one of the most common is watching birds to locate bait fish.

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I don,t know if it works or not but it gives me more faith that i am going to catch more. In ahy case I usualy stay longer and fish harder. That may be the reason it works. I have heard the same thing all my life.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A very good indicator is seeing others catching fish at a certain spot.It is considered good manners to wait until they leave!Caution.There are some who own all waters that they fish and consider every spot that they have ever caught a fish at as their own personal private property.I have met a few of these in my 62 years.Their only definition of share is in their stock portfolio.

It is best to observe before you head out."IF" your sole purpose is obtaining fish or game,it will save you many a wasted day.IF you just enjoy going 1st and production is second,it does not really matter.

Insect hatches such as the May Fly.

I have noticed it all of my life.When domestic stock,wildlife,birds in the yard,Snakes out on and off the water,even your dog starts exploring on it's own,fish bite.Now you can ignore regulated feeding times for domestic stock or timed wildlife feeders as animals are great timekeepers and will regulate their feeding habits to a sure thing.Even the fed Cat fish and Bream in a pond do this.

Water Snakes.Leaving out dry weather and very low water which concentrates all wildlife.A abundance of water Snakes along a shore is a very good sign of bait fish or frogs which the larger fish feed on.

Web worms & Wasp nest hanging over water.Some drop out as they emerge.As you said.watch the birds,the divers and the shore birds.

At night,Watch the Owls!Barn and Barred Owls catch fish feeding in the shallows at nights.Listen for the splash as they catch their prey.I have heard them,and shined a light on them.Bigger fish will be feeding on the bream the Owls are feeding on.The Owls will feed on BIG Bluegill and other bream.Even good size Bass.If you are out away from shore in a lake and hear a Screech Owl,it is feeding on large insects.

Tracks.If you find Human,Mink,Otter or even Coon tracks at a spot regularly,something or someone is catching bait or fish there regularly.

Fish Scales!

Fish will often migrate to STILL shallow water in late winter or early spring with sunny days.I often fished for and caught bluegill with their backs out of the water in the shallows.The feed is out in the warmer water.Look for ripples,swirls and splash.The larger Crappie.Chain Pickerel and Bass will be there.ULTRA LITE excels here.

Look for Barn Swallow nest on bridges and fish downstream of them when the little birds start leaving the nest.Some drown and attract Bass and Catfish.This is a GREAT seasonal thing that most miss.These baby birds are CHUM.Now with lots of them in the water,the fish can be gorged and quit biting,so do not wait too late.

Fish for Catfish under Osprey or Eagle nest where baby birds are fed.This is best when the birds are larger.They will then be tearing up their own food and fighting over it.Some will be dropped or slung over the side.When they are big enough for you to notice and see,it is time to fish.Think Chum!I fished every Eagle nest on Lake Marion at the right time of the year.Hugo took them down.

Fish the shallows along sandbars when the turtles start hatching.Catfish love them.

Notice clam shells at very low water.Locate the beds.Catfish feed on them.

Running water inlet into a lake or stream.There is usually a fish or too waiting for something to wash in.I know places like this that are good,but only there after a recent rain.

A disturbance.A Tow Boat,Joe Blow running aground or up into the weeds.Give it a couple of minutes and fish it.It often disturbs bait.Think Chum.Try the mud lines left from HIGH wave action along the banks.Food may be washing in.Check out boat landings.Fish get use to it.The action stirs and uncovers.Folk throw their left over bait into the water.Think Chum.

If you ever get a chance,fish the area of a collapsed water spout ASAP.You have a very good chance of chum.I saw the results of such a "Bonanza" as a kid.They claimed that they loaded the boat in a few minutes.I saw the fish.I only heard of the water spout.This was saltwater.I would guess that it sucked up a school of panicked bait fish which were stunned or killed and so attracted the other fish.Perhaps the shock wave of a huge amount of water falling?Who knows?

We all look,but few really see.

4. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks peewee, great response.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Much of this was just accepted as things in life by the elderly folks when I was a child.It was pointed out to me plus I have been watching for 63 years.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    posted yesterday

posted today

Happy Birthday, Pee Wee!:wink:

Actually, it was a very good post with lots of info, thank you.

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I hadn't been thru here for awhile...and have been reading and posting to threads as I went along.

Just a little while ago in a different thread I related that I have a friend who swears by the tactic of cow watching.

And to be honest...it works pretty reliably.

It's very interesting to me that someone else has noticed this as well.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Brandon for the post. I agree with it. I heard the same thing when I was just a boy and have watched the cows on several fishing trips. I believe there is something to it.

10. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I can remember going fishing when i was little.... If we walked out of the house and the cows were lounging around, we didn't go. I took that as we should lounge around too... I never got away with it though.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When I go hit my bait spots alot of times it says things to me:wink.By the sive and number of bait fish.... I get and witch spot I hit em at.... all this has taken years to learn/see: I definatley believe it works and very seldom is it wrong??is it thee injun in us?I DUNNO!:cool2: (LOL)

12. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Driving in from work, I just noticed a field of cows next to the Leon River.. The cows were jumping and kicking up their hind legs.... I'm thinking this might have been a good time to go fishing.... If it weren't for the fact that it is 27 degrees... :eek:oooh: