Indiana or KY license

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by misterwhisker, Aug 18, 2009.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Im planing a trip to rising sun soon and was wondering what license to buy,indy or ky, i was told to get the ky but i dont know..HELP:confused2:

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i live in idiana and fish off of a kentucky license...

3. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have both, because I live in Indiana. Indianas is 35 dollars for out of state, kentuckys is 50. Kentucky will allow you to have unlimited rods, better cast net laws and also if all you fish is the ohio then you can fish from east side of ohio all the way to the west side of Indiana. Also the Kentucky state channel cat record is only 32#s an indianas is 37.5.lol. I buy a Kentucky licence every year, just because if you dont like a law from 1 state you can pull out the other states licence. For example in kentucky you cannot use any game fish for bait. In Indiana you can use any legally caught fish of legal size for bait. The extra money gives you allot of flexability. Ive kinda learned how to play the system. They make the rules I just decide which one I prefer. Hope this helps.

4. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have fished down there on a indiana license and i also lived in ohio for a few yrs and had a ohio license along as you are the ohio they can not stop you we even latch out of indiana also

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I have both indiana and kentucky license due to the unlimited rod law. However, If you have a kentucky license only it kinda limits where you can catch bait in the area around Rising Sun. There is not a kentucky creek really close by that is good for getting bait. Just something to think about. Come on down and get familiar with the area and come back and enter our open catfish tourney Sept 12th and 13th, we already have 56 pre-registered boats. Ross

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The advantage of the kentucky license over the indiana is obviously that you can run further up river with the ky than indiana...but if u r just out pleasure fishing and not tourney fishing then you wouldnt put in at rising sun and run that far. i would go with indiana just so u can have access to the bait.....

7. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a Indiana license and live in Indiana. The indiana license will allow you to fish the ohio and its tributaries only in the state you have a license. If you have a ky license you can fish the ohio in a boat either side but can only bank fish in ky and fish the in the tributaries of ky. The same rule applies for the Indiana license. This rule is stated in the indiana fishing regulation book. You should read it. Hope this helps.

8. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So does anyone know if i have a in. license can i use a kentucky ramp to launch my boat for fishing the ohio ive never looked into this but some of the ramps around here on the indiana side have fallin victim to scumbag theives

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You can use any ramp you want. you just have to fish in water that at least one side of the bank is indiana....hell you can launch your boat in west virginia and make all the locks and and about 800 dollars in gas and still come down and fish with that license.

10. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    do not about the kentucky launch but when i lived in ohio we drive to burg and launch from indiana with a ohio license

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've fished the Ohio with a boc member who has a KY boat & KY license. We both had to obey our own State laws.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  12. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you have one or the other that is correct, if you have both though u can use either one. I know that I have run into that with the throw net and a Indiana CO.

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Ky laws says we can bank fish the Indiana side of the Ohio.

OHIO RIVER FISHING (KRS 150.170)

An angler with a Kentucky fishing license may fish the entire main stem of the Ohio River from a boat, or a bordering state’s bank without buying the other state’s license (bordering states include Illinois, Indiana and Ohio).

This does not apply if fishing a bordering state’s embayments or tributaries, which begin at a straight line between opposite points where the tributary or embayment meets the main stem of the river.

Anglers fishing from a bordering state’s bank must follow the size and creel limits of the state where the angler is located. For example, a Kentucky licensed angler can stand on the Indiana bank and fish the main stem of the Ohio River without an Indiana fishing license, but must abide by Indiana’s size and creel limits.

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Be careful though if you are picking the state based on laws, because you can't mix the two. For example, KY doesn't allow gamefish as bait, so no bluegill. But Indiana allows bluegill for bait. But KY has unlimited poles. Indiana has a 3 poles limit. So you can't have 10 rods out and have a bluegill. You can't say "I'm using my KY license for the pole limit, but my IN for the baits to use" Won't fly.

Also, you can fish from either bank with one license. If you have a KY license you can fish from the indiana bank as long as you are fishing the main river. They did this because the dams are excellent fishing, but one state has to put the locks in so there is no fishing there.

If I was you, I would get a KY license because if you ever launch up in ohio it will work up there too. Plus being able to put a couple extra rods out is really nice and can mean alot more fish.

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Bluegill are not game fish in KY. and can be used for bait.

(301 KAR 1:130, 1:122)

Regardless of size or how obtained, it is illegal to use any sport fish for bait. (Sport fish species listed on page 5). Minnows are defined as all fish, except sport fish species, less than 6 inches long. Also, see page 24 for a description of fish species protected in Kentucky under the Endangered Species Act – these fish species shall not be taken for any use. Bluegills are not sport fish and may be taken for bait as described above.

16. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont mix them, what I meant is sometimes it is more beneficial to use game fish. Sometimes I find it more beneficial to use more rods although Generally I dont. See the real prob. with a Indiana licence is that you are only aloud a 4' radius throw net on the ohio river. That is absolutely insane. But at the same time in Kentucky you are not allowed to use those pressious LARGE MOUTH bass.lol