Indiana Opener. First report of the season.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Oct 2, 2008.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Well, I got my mom to let my skip yesterday and hunt all day after a little work. I ended up getting in the woods a good 30-45 minutes before even the slightest light. and about 30 minutes after i could see all the way across the field behind me (i was hunting on the edge of a thicket with a bean field behind me.) I saw a little fork buck. Then after that until about 11am I saw either a pair of little bucks or little does once every 20-30 minutes. then in the afternoon i moved to the backside of the thicket when the wind was picking up and so the sun wasnt in my face and didnt see a single deer until about 30 minutes before the sun was down. 2 big does. but neither one presented a shot to me and i didnt want to deal with a doe being that late in the day and this early in the season with school the next day anyway so i dont know if i would have even shot. BUT, i did make my first bow kill right before it got to dark to see. I bagged a possum that decided to walk about 30 yards from me. not a bad shot on him either. 30 yards on a moving critter. will be hunting all day saturday in the same two stands. only in going to switch them around and hunt the first in the afternoon and the second in the morning. wish me luck and good luck to all you other bowhunters out there.

IN TOTAL FOR THE FIRST DAY OF EARLY ARCHERY INDIANA-
    -around 20-25 deer. none worth shooting.
    -1 coyote. didnt get a shot, too thick.
    -1 possum. stuck him at 30 yards.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Your deer is out there. Stick with it and you'll stick him.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    keep after it, jay! sounds like you're in a real good spot. if you can hit a possum at 30 yards you can definitely hit the vitals on a whitetail. good luck to you, bud! i hope to read about your first bow deer saturday night or sunday morning!

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sounds like a pretty good day! That is my biggest problem trying to shoot a P&Y buck. I shoot the first thing that comes by:confused2:. sounds like you can pass deer up, that is half the battle

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great Kill, keep us updated once you get that trophy buck!