Indiana "monster" flathead??

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, Jun 3, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Being a lone flathead fisherman here without opportunity for fellowship with other guys like me until I joined this forum,,, I am curious what folks here are considering a "monster" flat... I mean what is the minimum size of a flathead before it's dubbed a "monster" here? lol:confused2:

2. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    In my opinon, anything 25lb's or bigger is a monster. I fish north of Peru, IN on the Wabash most of the time. What do you think makes a monster cat in your neck of the woods?

3. Motormaker

Motormaker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's a monster in my book.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well, all my years I've fish alone and knew or talked to absolutley anyone that knew or could care-less about flatheads, so I never weighed or took pics of any of my flats... just caught them, looked, said; "wow" to myself, unhooked 'em and let 'em go...
    Really ? I was thinkin' "monster" was considered more rare sized like say starting @ 40 or so? I think since my boat is down for at least another week or two, I'll go see if I can hook-up one here in my pond and weigh it and post a picture today if possible, see what you think, I've got some flats I stuck in there about 10 years or so ago,, I'll see what I can do, and post it here If I have some luck.:big_smile:

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good thread. I always considered anything bigger than 30lbs a monster. I'm interested to know which body of water everyone thinks the next state record flathead will come from?

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hard to say where,, I've bumped into more than a few dudes in this forum that wouldnt suprise me if they nailed a state record~ if it's not "where" but "who"... then again the way things go, It will be a 10 year old little girl fishing with hot dogs in a flooded drainage ditch somewhere... LMAO,, wouldnt that be a kick in the head?:tounge_out::angry::smile2:

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    An average for us is 20 to 35 pounds anything over that is a monster. I just got a 53 lb flatty a few weeks ago, i would call it a monster.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah, me too....

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My biggest so far is a 25lber, and I would consider that a big fish, but not a monster. I would say bigger than 35lb would be a monster around here...needless to say I'm still in search of my first monster:roll_eyes:

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd be willing to bet you gitter done:wink:

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I have never fished Indiana, but my cousin lives in Indiana, a place called Palmaroy i'm planning on going up there and see him in a month or two, im going to probably buy out of state fishing license, and hit the rivers some, I would have to say though, to me what would be considered a monster flathead, would be anything over 20 pounds.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well I'll probably be scrappin' that plan since lightning is blasting around and rattelin' my house.... dang I think I'll be gettin' of this computer too....lol cya

13. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Monster 30lbs plus but im convinced the next state record will come out of the white river because he will be easiar to target. Granted the Ohio river has more monsters but there not as easy to catch. It will be a matter of the right hole at the right time and the right bait.

14. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND
    a guy I work with got an 88lb monster out of the white river that is a monster to me
    anything over 50 is a monster around here

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Watch out, or we'll have boats here from all over the country!:wink:

16. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    88lbs? That smokes the current Flatty on record for Indiana. He should have taken it in and got his name in the books.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah i agree he should have got it documented as a state record!

we catch alot of 20s n 30s so i would say anything over 40 would be consisered a monster in this state. maybe someday we will have regulations to protect our trophies, so we can consider 40s average!

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't understand why it isnt already so

19. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    88lbs?....The current state record is 79lbs I think....he definitely should have recorded that catch.

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    79lb 8oz...in white river waaaaay back in 1966 the year I was BORN! lol!