Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Indiana Gathering

8K views 71 replies 24 participants last post by  skippi2use 
#1 ·
Well, I know that WabashRiverBear in the past has done a gathering at Rocky Pointe. I am not sure exactly if that is going on this year or not, but having talked to a few guys they said they had not heard anything as of yet. Without stepping on his toes, or anyone elses, i wanted to throw out the idea of having a gathering in July (possibly 9-11) at Little Farm on the River near Rising Sun, IN (thanks to KyleCo for the suggestion).

The camping area has a pond with fish for those who do not have boats or may have trouble getting around but wants to come. Also has full electric and water hook-up and a commisary/store with supplies and food. I believe they also have an inground swimming pool and other amenities. Prices last time I looked I believe to be around 26-31 dollars a night but that is not a group rate quote, and I believe that they allow two tents per campsite. Cabins are also available but I am not sure on the rate. The camping area is about 5 minutes east of the Rising Sun Public Ramp and about 15-20 minutes from the Tanners Creek Ramp. It is approximately an hour from Madison IN incase anyone was wondering.

I am looking just to see if there is possible interest in something like this happening along with a yea or neh on venue, as well as dates with suggestions added if you would like an event but disagree on the place/time. I think not only would this location draw Indiana members, but also SW Ohio and NKY Members. I know the river is not centrally located obviously, but Rocky Pointe is located on the River and has been successful in the past. Please post input, and let me know if we want to get this rolling.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds cool to me, I think everybody should at one time or another host a gathering, but I'm not sure how many folks you will draw with the National going on this year. I'm absolutely not trying to discourage you, but I know in my case I'm staying close to home saving money to go to the national gathering, figuring fuel to go back up this summer and the general expense of everything.
All you can do is put it out there and see how many say they will come. It's been my experience (Rocky Point and Turtle Creek Res.) that only about 50 to 60% of those that sign up, show up.
I wish ya good luck and many participants, but sorry, I'll be sticking close to home waters untill the National in September. If you have any questions or need advice from past experiences, feel free to pm me, I'll help ya out any way I can.

#4 ·
I fully understand Barry, just figured I would toss the idea out. I personally won't be able to make the National gathering and if others cannot make it and wish to attend a closer event, or would like to do both then hopefully they will show interest. If not, that is fine as well. Just wanting to meet some BOC members.

#5 ·
campshore which is right up the road is cheaper and has shade. They have a boat ramp right onto the river for those camping. We stayed in there last year and it was terrific other than the 70 mile an hour winds that claimed our tents and 12*12pop top. We wound up spending the night in the storm shelter. I think it was 12$ a night and 15-17 on holiday! From what I hear there is no shade at little farm. beside if im going to spend near 30 you can get a hotel for about 10$ more.

#6 ·
Point well taken Shane. I didn't know about that particular campground and that is why I asked for input. The cheaper prices and onsite ramp would make it a better location at least in my opinion. Would you be willing to come if it was moved to this location? If so what dates are good? Anyone else interested? Please add input

#9 ·
Curtis,
I'm sure you will get some participation in this but like Shane says, you can't suit everyone's schedule. What Barry said too about guys showing up is also true. People sign up with every intention of being there and then life gets in the way. Nature too can play it's part. If the river comes up and gets ugly, driving 2-3 hours to grill hotdogs is not so appealing.
But there are always some who will show up no matter what so keep throwing ideas out there and gather the feedback then make a decision on a date. Hope for the best, plan for the worst and go for it.
The worst that can happen is you have the campground, river and 10lb of burgers to yourself!!!
If I am able to make it on the date you pick I will be there...W

#10 ·
Curtis, Just pick a site that has what you think fits everbody's requirements best, then pick a date that works best for fishing in the area of your site. Post it up, and sit back and see what shakes out. Remember, everybody has an opinion, you cant make everybody happy, and mother nature will screw your eyes out and it is your fault (at least you will feel like it is, lol). Just set the plans, and hope for the best.

Hint: at Rocky Point we did a community pitch in meal/b.s. session one afternoon before everybody hit the water for the evening. It worked out great and had everybody together at the same time for a while.

Good luck!

#11 ·
Rising Sun sounds like a great plan to me.....but I might be a little impartial since I live there LOL.

Also Campshore is a good choice as far as camping, but I will note they only have a small one lane ramp. Besides that it is a nice campground close to the Rising Sun, Arnolds Creek, and the Tanners Creek ramps. I know the guy that owns Campshore and know he would really like to have everyone there.

#16 ·
I would come for sure! Never been to either campground, but having our own ramp sure sounds good.:clap:

Thanks for starting this Curtis, always good to see a motivated brother working to get us together! Look forward to meeting many of you in person.

#17 ·
Sounds like we have a fair amount of members interested. I think some of the guys over here in SW Ohio and Cincinnati would come as well. I will call the campground here probably Thursday and see what they have available and the options we have, until Wednesday I am pretty swamped with Finals. I will post something in the next few days about date, location, and info about reservation. Thanks for the good words, and the input.

#24 ·
That date looks good for me at the moment.
What is the name and location of the campground? I would like to go and check it out as it sounds like it could be a handy place to stay even when we aren't having a get-together. A phone number would be handy too if anyone has it.
Thanks...W

#25 ·
Apperently he has gone way up from last year as well. He said $25 for the 1st night and $20 for the second. But he did say that he had plenty of space and that he would like a better Idea on # of sites and people as well. That is with electric and water as well. So every one decide what you want to do. I think im going to say screw the day job and start a campground at my house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.