The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

381 - 400 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,085 Posts
Yes, it was Dan's boat that got me on some fish.
My first blue catfish anchored and using cut sucker.

9-25-20 2020 Gathering.jpg

I had a great time meeting and talking with everyone.
Thanks guys for the good time.
We sure missed you Tom thanks for the support.
Thanks everyone for all the donations for the raffle.

Thanks Eric, you did a Great Job on putting everything together and the hamburgers were good too.
Can't wait for the next one.

·
Registered
Chris from Indiana
100 Posts
This weekend was awesome, even though I got skunked on the catfish all weekend lol. I got my first sibiki rig and caught a few skip jack for the first time. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and sharing techniques, stories, etc. On the way home my son said dad, I can’t wait to go again next year. I completely agree with him. Now the countdown starts again LOL

·
Registered
Chris from Indiana
100 Posts
Hahaha thanks man, that would’ve been great to have on video! He’s about as diehard as it gets being only 4 years old. He won’t even fall asleep on the river bank before telling me to wake him up when we get a bite. His 2 year old sister is just like him too lol. I think next year I’m gonna bring the whole family.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Traders Point, Indiana USA
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
I'm going to try to fit this into one post...

Thanks to all of you guys who came to the gathering, it was so nice to talk with everyone, share stories, and spend some quality time on the Ohio River.

If you've never been to New Amsterdam, it's a super small river town of 27 people according to the last census. There's no post office there anymore, so there aren't any actual addresses with the town's name. All houses in the town have an address of Central, IN.
Welcome toNewAmsterdam.jpg

The Gathering is held at the They're Bitin Campground. If it wasn't for a former member of this forum making us aware of it 10 years ago, I would never had known it exists. They do have a fishing club there called the New Amsterdam Fishing Club. It's literally at the end of the road... my kind of place.

They'reBitinOffice.jpg

Reese and I got on the water Friday afternoon around 3pm. There was zero current and zero wind, you could hear a pin drop.

FirstBaitsReady.jpg

We put several blues in the boat Friday. The bite was very steady while power drifting a couple of our favorite mussel beds. We were catching fish on frozen skipjack and fresh shad. At the end of the day we announced that Reese had caught the 14lber.
14.9Blue.jpg

Then Saturday came and so did a strong southwest wind, complete with white caps. The drift that produced a few fish on Friday didn't even show us a bite. So we decided to head in for some burgers and to shoot the breeze with the other guys in our group.

GoodTimes.jpg

Jon was having some battery issues with his boat, and Kelly and Terry jumped into action! They had come fully equipped with a generator and helped Jon get some needed voltage back in his battery.

AllHandsonDeck.jpg

We all then had an awesome time holding a free raffle thanks to some VERY NICE donations from gathering attendees, and even a few from those there in spirit. Chris's son did the honors of drawing all of the winning names and he sure had fun doing it lol! That's a great boy you've got there Chris, he is really smart. He told me he loves "feeling the power" of a big catfish!

Brantly4yearsold.jpg

I completely forgot to take photos of the raffle and our lunch, but did manage to remember to get a group shot.

2020GatheringGroupPhoto.jpg

We trailered the boat and launched out of Brandenburg on Saturday night in hopes of finding some fish at another mussel bed. Only got a couple taps the whole night, making Saturday a day of skunk for our boat.

Sunday morning quickly approached the noon hour, which is the end of our big fish pot time frame. While waiting on Dan and Stacee, Jon was bank fishing and caught his annual small channel.
JonLastMinuteChannel.jpg

Then noon came and I asked if anyone had caught anything bigger than Reese's 14.9lb blue, and that fish was bigger than any caught by other attendees making Reese the winner of our $95 big fish pot! Congrats Reese and thank you to everyone who donated addition funds to make the event more exciting! ...So I decided it was time to let the cat out of the bag, and in honor of Tom Waskom and his last minute antics from last year, I showed everyone a pic of the 37.9lb blue caught by Reese on Friday afternoon!!

37.5BlueBigFish2020Gathering.jpg

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Hey guys I was exhausted lastnight so heres my story real quick. So I end up getting a late start Saturday morning then get caught up in some stand still construction traffic on the interstate. When I arrive I talked with Chris and his son for a minute before heading back up and getting the boat situated.

Bring it down to launch and it won't turn over. Battery was winding real slow. So I pull it up and do a look over but don't see anything obvious. Feeling frustrated I decided to just go fish and have a good time still. Later I was talking with Eric and he mentioned Reese had a volt meter so he grabbed that and we checked the crank battery. It was reading low 12s if I remember right. Kelly and Terry had a generator they offered up and I remembered to bring the battery charger Tom has lended me with an extension cord. So I let it charge for alittle while hoping it would get enough juice to turn over.

I go and try it and same thing, just won't fire up, slow crank. So I put it back on the charge for abit and keep fishing. Ended up catching my first two skipjack on sabiki rig. After it started getting closer to sunset I figured I would try once more before setting up on the bank. Same thing happened so I pulled it up, slapped it on the charger and went fish with Chris and his son.

I stayed up untill 4am then went back to the truck and crashed in the passenger seat for about 4 hours. Before I did that I looked at the battery charger and it was still soild red meaning still charging.

I get up about 8 and check it. Still red but I still want to try. I bring it down and put it in the river and it fires right up. I'm looking every thing down making sure it all looks good when I realized it wasn't peeing water out the back. I reved it up a few times hoping that would help out. Took it off the trailer and messed around at the bank going foward and backwards hoping that would get it peeing but still no luck. I decided to just run across the river and back just to say I did before putting it back on the trailer. I didn't want to risk damaging anything if its not peeing water.

But enough about all that boat business. It was great being out there with a bunch of great guys! Thanks to Eric for putting this together and for grilling us burgers. Thanks to everyone that donated the raffle prizes, alot of cool stuff. I ended up winning a much needed monster river anchor and some 8oz no rolls. Big shout out and thanks to everyone that offered me help, advice, and tips about my boat and everything. I do appreciate all you guys. Congrats to Reese on big fish, very nice! And congrats Stacee on your first blue!

I am ready for next year, best believe my batterys will be charged! I was looking at onboard chargers lastnight and should be ordering one soon. There is a part two to my story about my boat but I need to get ready for work. It is good news just to let everyone know. I will leave you with some pictures from the trip.

20200926_184740.jpg
20200926_190522.jpg
20200926_211611.jpg
20200926_222018.jpg
20200927_004511.jpg
20200927_034734.jpg
20200927_091429.jpg
20200927_094511.jpg
20200927_105511.jpg

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Im on break at work so quickly part two. After I leave the river I go straight to my buddys house. We watch some youtube videos and look up some stuff to see what to expect. We drop the lower unit and get to looking around. The impeller seems to be all in one piece so no problem there. We realize its missing an o ring on the long rod that goes into the water pump (I believe) so he found one that fits perfectly. Also after we lifted off the box and impeller I seen some gritty dirt on that metal plate and alittle around the box that goes over the impeller. I wipe all that off. Then my buddy gets his airhose and places it in the hole. We feel it coming out the pee hole just fine, didn't appear to be any leaks in the hose. So this time he puts the air hose against the pee hole with his hand over the bottom of motor. He hits it on and he thinks he may have felt something hit his hand but wasn't sure if it was just water or not. I scouted the ground but didn't see anything. I looked at the screens they seemed fine. All the seals we checked didn't have any cracks. Nothing was sticking out. He says all we can do is try. If it doesn't work then we might have to get into the motor he thinks. So we slap it back together, cross our fingers and try again.
20200927_184240.jpg

I dont know if it was the o ring missing or maybe it broke off andgeot in the line and was causing it to plug up or if that little bit of dirt I wiped up did it but I was a happy camper.

My buddy was questioning why I didn't just hook up to the deep cycle battery and go. I told him I was worried it didn't have a good charge as well and didn't want to risk getting stuck.

Definitely learning experience, I was so worried about making sure all my bases were covered that I forgot to check the basic stuff. It never crossed my mind to check it but it had sat awhile since the last time i took it out and it sits outside so that may have been why it dropped alittle.

Told the wife I have a tank full of gas I need to use up now, I'm gonna hafta go back and try again. She thought I was messing around.

I ain't playin....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well....as always, I had a good time. Its always good to see all the guys get together. I got ALOT of useful info. I save up all my questions and then harass someone at the gathering with them. Im already looking forward to next year. Thanks for all who had a hand in getting this put together, and to all who made donations for the raffle. Definitely a good time. We were packing up to go home and already talking about next year..hahaha.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Kelly did you guys figure out your boat situation? I thought I heard you were having throttle issues? Also I wrapped up that blue extension cord and threw it in the back of the truck next to the generator. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
Rope starting is easier said than done but there is a technique for the easiest way. You only need a turn or so around the flywheel after getting it to the compression stroke.

Best done while the motor is on the water. Second best thing is not to fall out of the boat after the pull.

381 - 400 of 406 Posts