Indiana Gathering 2020

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by typer181, Oct 5, 2019.

1. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    We launched out of Rocky Point yesterday, and I tried to talk to Ralph about some of our questions. Unfortunately he was not available that day so I was unable to accomplish much. I did however check out the area that Winston recommended I put eyes on, as it was one of the areas that tents were permitted back in 2010-ish when another gathering was held there. Here is the area: RockyPointFormerTentSpots.jpg

It looked as if the RVs are somewhat permanent in that area now :( So I don't think we will be able to put tents there.

Also, in a former post I mentioned that there was a restaurant at Rocky Point. Well... there was one there back in 2010 and I assumed it would still be there. Not so much...
    RockyPointOldRestaurant.jpg
    This used to be a two story building with a restaurant on the 2nd floor. Luckily Cannelton and Tell City are just down the street so it's not so bad.

In addition, the road that the tent spots are located next to dead ends 6 miles past Rocky Point. So traffic down that road will be somewhat limited. That area is located right next to the RV septic dump. Let's hope there isn't a need for someone to unload during the gathering weekend.

Chris, where on the property was the shower house located?

I still want to speak with Ralph to see if there is any way we can squeeze into a couple of the RV spots that are right on the water. Keep you all posted on that.

pikeintheboat likes this.
  2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Eric,
    The shower house was located right next to the restaurant so looking at that picture suggests that it has been taken down too.

...W

3. Philip Walleck

Philip Walleck Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Philip Walleck
    I just got my new boat yesterday can mark me down as coming with a +1

typer181 and twaskom like this.
  4. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    Eric, I just now saw your question about the shower house. I did not get that info unfortunately. The little bit of time i was there the kids were wanting out of their car seats, and my lady was nagging about how that spot wasn't gonna work for us, everybody was hungry, etc.. So my grand plan fell apart pretty quickly lol.

typer181 likes this.
  5. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    I know its still a few months out, but i figure i will drop a feeler now to see if there's anyone that may be willing and have room for me to tag along in their boat one of the days or nights during the gathering?

6. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    https://www.catfish1.com/attachments/20200516_111557-jpg.309880/

Sorry Chris, I meant to direct the question about the shower to Kelly. For some reason I thought you had previously posted the pic.

Kelly, where was that shower room located on the property? I couldn't find it while I was down there and Ralph was not in town.

Philip glad to hear you can join us! I added your name to the master list in post #141 of this thread.

cadyman likes this.
  7. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    If I end up bringing my boat you already know I got you bro. Another buddy and I recently ripped out all my seats so you will beable to set up a chair anywhere you want!

8. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    Thanks Jon! I got my old jon boat in the barn, but my trailer needs work and I haven't had the boat on the water in years. I know I wont have it ready to go this year. I'm hopeful I will be putting my down payment on my dream boat next year. If so, I will for sure return the favor bud!

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the showers had apartments above them next to the store before it burned.. that building is still there but not sure if the showers are still operational.. the area over by those docks are all permanent/yearly rentals now from what i understand. last time i asked they didnt have any temp rv spots with power anymore they had all been rented for the season.. i love fishing up there and its close to my house but it’s definitely not as gathering friendly as it was years ago...

cadyman, typer181 and metalman like this.
  10. twaskom

twaskom Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Well, that's too bad. It is getting more and more like that balloon you got at the fair the night before and finding it the next morning laying on the floor.

No shade, no showers, no electrical hookups, no restaurant and sandwiched between the blacktop road and the septic tank dump.

I am beginning to think that unless you own an $80,000 motor home, they don't want you.

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    this is why we quit having gatherings there years ago. it was awesome when it was a normal campground..but when it changed owners it went to what it is now..

typer181 and metalman like this.
  12. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Well guys we still have time to make a move. Adam, I greatly appreciate you catching us up on the place.
    New Amsterdam is still an option. At least we know that spot will be quiet and we'll have it all to ourselves.
    What do you all think?

13. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Or we could tough it out at Rocky Point.

I like fishing both the New Amsterdam stretch and Rocky Point areas.

So either way, I'm happy to get on the river. I just want to make sure we are all as comfortable as possible.

I'm happy to give Kathy a call at New Amsterdam. She always appreciates our business.

Thoughts guys?

pikeintheboat likes this.
  14. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    South Central Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    Eric,

Either place will work, but I am familiar with New Amsterdam. I’d be happy going back there too. Let us know.

Matt

typer181 likes this.
  15. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
  16. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks guys.
    Does anyone see a reason not to return to New Amsterdam? Besides the obvious latrine issue, lack of shower, and no local infrastructure?

Mr. Catfish likes this.
  17. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    I wasn’t at last years gathering, so I just read through the majority of the gathering posts from last year. Sounds like it’s a good place and has more bank to fish than rocky point. I will be there and I’m definitely excited for the 2020 Gathering wherever it is held!

kyleco55, biga and typer181 like this.
  18. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indianapolis, In
    Name:
    Kyle Corley
    I'm ok with going wherever as long as I can plug my RV in and fish from the bank.

cadyman likes this.
  19. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    OK guys, I've made a decision based on all of the input from multiple sources regarding Rocky Point as the location of our Gathering in September. I just don't feel that spot would be a wise choice for our group. Given how low stress things have been in the past at New Amsterdam, I decided to give Kathy a call at They're Bitin' Campground. Kathy welcomed our group with open arms as she always has, and we have her entire campground reserved for the weekend of September 25-27, 2020.

They're Bitin' Campground here we come! I will take care of severing ties with the Rocky Point campground.

If you need a campsite or RV spot, please call Kathy directly at 812-732-4935. Make sure to tell her you are with the Catfish Club. If she does not answer leave a message on her voice mail. Please note that her voice mail is a very basic electronic voice and does not say anything about the Campground.

I will make a post with condensed info and our attendee list in a day or so. IF you are currently on the attendee list, but cannot join us in New Amsterdam, please send me a private message so I can remove you from the list. In the meantime, please post any questions.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    kyleco55, eastforker, cadyman and 3 others like this.
  20. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indianapolis, In
    Name:
    Kyle Corley
    There's bank fishing available, correct? I recall seeing some concerns about restrooms? Would a few be interested in renting a porta John for the weekend?

typer181 and cadyman like this.