Indiana Deer Behavior

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Nov 11, 2008.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Anyone else around me havin a hard time huntin this year? everyone i know and me havnt really seen much chasing goin on yet? its kindda late for the rut to not be at least somewhat kicked in. But, all thats chasin right now are the small bucks tryn to get some before they kno the big guys wont let them. I know people that have hunted alot of places from southern vigo country to northern vigo and all around. I just wanna kno if anyone else is seein this around here? a real late rut this year for sure. But i think that just means more bucks will be killed in shotgun unfortunately:embarassed:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm from Missouri but also think the rut is later this year. Sunday i spent 4 or 5 hours in the woods and only seen 1 scrape. haven't seen any bucks chasin in the fields around here. Gun season opens Sat. and i hope it turns on.

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    it alwas happens when you least inspect it:wink:

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    It`s the same story here in Pa. with all the bucks being the smaller ones.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The rut is in full swing here. I've seen more quality bucks this year than any before. They're chasing like crazy around midday. try to sit longer, or don't go out in the early a.m. this time of year it's best to hunt from 10a.m. to 2p.m. I've seen bucks daily right around noon. they wait for all the hunters to leave, and let the does bed down. then they run from bedding area to bedding area looking for hot does. Try a midday hunt once. you'd be suprized how many bucks you'll see...

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LOL even the deer are goofy in Indiana:smile2: just funnin fellers its a KY and IN thing for those who dont know. but anyways they ( the deer) are just now starting to chase here around me. I seen five little bucks sat. morning and none of them were chaseing then I shot an eight point that was runnig two does. he was in the middle of the two running back and forth. and we still are not haveing much deer hit by cars yet either.( I say that because when rut is in full swing around here the doe's must think that some of the bucks are so ugly they deside to jump in front of cars insted of mateing around here because road kill deer tripples in nov. and dec. ):tounge_out:

7. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That`s some good solid advice that I will try the next few days.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Finding new and fresh scrapes at the farm every time I go there. Saw a nice 10 pointer at 10 AM Sunday morning while sitting in the truck by the barn drinking coffee. Hope he shows this Sat.

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with Leroy no active scrapes in Caldwell co where I hunt either . Young bucks are running some no big boys . Mid day hunts will up your chances tho . !:cool2::wink: And once they do start . Sometimes they run all night and rest a little in the am .

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Kind of funny Lance. My farm is in Caldwell Cty. ........ Misssouri!! LOL

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm seeing a little activity here in West Central Indiana. Monday I happened along a long rub line, and saw some younger bucks doing some sparring in a cut bean field. It was pretty entertaining watching them as you can tell they were still getting used to their headgear. It's not in full swing here yet, but I think here within the next two weeks we should be seeing along of rutting deer. Too bad it falls right in gun season.

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went out today for a midday hunt. I got there about 10 and I walked to a nice spot and as I was setting all my gear down to get comfy and start rattling. A doe came running in with the solid 10 point I've been after. I did'nt have a shot. I waited about 5-10 minutes and rattled a little and started calling. Loud tending grunts. A smaller 8 pointer came running the ridgeline next to a field. He came to the head of the ravine that seperated us as i grunted. He turned and came straight at me. He came in so fast I didnt think he was close yet and he ran over the crest of ridge and stopped about 10 yards in front of me. he just stood there for a few seconds. I was watching the confused look on his face trying not to laugh. It didnt work I chuckled a little and he bound off. Waited a little and moved to a heavily used river crossing. Set up and waited a few minutes and in a matter of minutes a Really big 10 point probably scoring 160-170 crossed the river and ran right downwind of me. He didn't seem to care. he just kept on trotting through the field. I'm hunting that crossing tomorrow. he must use it a lot there's tons of trees shredded and oozing sap from fresh damage. I "seasoned" a couple of his rubs. I'll be there with a bundle of tarsals soaked in urine in the morning. I was with 2 of my buddies. They're both frustrated from not seeing any bucks this year. Both of them were excited, and could'nt believe how many deer we called up today. Here were in the chase phase. The bucks have picked out hot does and respond to grunting and calling. Calling is especially productive right now. If you see a buck by himself 1 loud grunt is all it'll take to bring him in running. Later when most of the does have been bred and there's fewer hot does, the rattling will work really good. because of the competition for the remaining hot does. Guys, the time is right now. If you don't think the rut is in full swing, you're in the wrong spot, or the wrong time. the next 11 days will be peak breeding. look at the rut phase guide in the last months issue of field and stream. From what I'm seeing in the woods thier guide is right on the money. I can't wait for tomorrow. I don't think I'll be able to sleep much. I can't get those antlers out of my head...

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There runnin here-We went fer a country drive & I had the largest bad boy I have ever saw up close run bout a city block next to us...hey we was drivin:eek:oooh:saw some huge does too!