Indiana Catalpa/Catawba worms

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by gone_fishin, Jun 29, 2006.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I have a few questions about these worms. What times of the year will you find them? I also heard that there are male and female trees and they can only be found on one of them, is that true and which one is it?

2. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with baitfish. Should be on any time now. I've not heard about the male or female tree either. Usually where I get them there is a whole line of these trees on both sides of the road and they are usually all holding the worms.

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    What trees are they found on? I've never seen them that I can remember.

4. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Thanks Jim. I've never seent that tree before so I guees I've never seen a catalpa worm.

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I've been looking around for the trees but I can't find any anywhere. I've been asking around and looking but I'm not coming up with anything.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have 4 or 5 of them and checked them yesterday. Nothing so far.
    Bill

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I know where thats at, it's on the way to Delphi correct? Thanks for the information. When do you think I should be able to start finding them? In the next few days, week, or weeks.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Te fruit looks like cigars long and bout 1/2 in. diam. look for trees with cut leaves. put a old white sheet on the ground and shake limbs the worms fall onto sheet and pick them up . safe some leaves for worms to eat. They have a horn at their butt. it won't hurt you. Hook fromback end and turn the worm insideout. the worms maybe up to 3 in. long. Te leaves are large and spade shaped ( card suit ) . Not all trees will have worms. good luck.

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I heard you could freeze the worms. Is that true? If I get alot I might freeze some if I can.

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had read that if you freeze them in cornmeal or sawdust, they will come back to life when thawed......but I can't say I know this to be fact. We have a few catalpa trees here, but haven't had worms for the past few years. Last time we did, I chased two guys off (while holding my 9mm visible :big_smile: ) who were trespassing & stealing the worms.....I think they got the point.

Smitty

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I don't care if they come back to life. I just want them to still be fishable and to still have that green ooze.

12. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    we have one catalpa tree in our back yard and my neighbor has a few...last year we didnt get any until the first of august or so....around the time we start getting grass hoppers...which them big green grass hoppers are awsome bait as well for channels.
    to harvest the worms i do like posted earlier...i have a big "painters cloth" basicly a pig cloth tarp i put it under the tree and shake the tree. to get grass hoppers i take a big wool blanket i got from the army surplus and drag it through tall grass,the hoppers will stick to the blanket and ya just pull em off.

13. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Catalpa worms are great channel bait. If you drop them in boiling water for about 15 or 20 seconds and then freeze them in water, they stay good and firm when you thaw them. I've never heard of the coming back to life thing, but hey you never know.

14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    So what's the word on the worms, are they on the trees yet?

15. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've never done it, but found where I'd read it:

"The worm can be preserved alive by placing it in cornmeal or sawdust and packing it in a glass jar and frozen indefinitely. When thawed, they become as lively as the day they were frozen. This is because their metabolism slows down while eating and, therefore, freezes in its natural state. Some fishermen report that it is better to freeze them in water in lots of 25. Thawed out, they turn black and soggy, but do not seem to lose their appeal to catfish."

http://www.vaiden.net/catalpa_cattails_kudzu.html

Smitty

16. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    Checked Monday night and still no worms up here maybe in a week or 2!

17. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just got some of the tree's this weekend. Most of them were still kind of small but found some bigger ones up farther in the tree. Still able to climb. Not bad for a 41 year old. (Just glad I didn't fall):lol: :lol:

18. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I just picked some off my trees.
    Bill

19. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    These things are great... this is my first year using them... channels wont leavem alone

20. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    i usually buy them from the bait stores but i havent seen them come to life after being frozen. I know that they dont stay around to long .So I'll check with a guy that I know here and see if I can get information for you guys