Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Aaron from Indiana
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indiana guys, do you know if there is a limit on the diameter size of castnet for our state? I'd like to get one for catching shad and the only reference I can find in the state regs is the mesh size can't be over 2 inches. I'm just curious if there's a limit on net diameter.

I'm looking to get my first castnet. I've been watching Chris Souders videos and he says his favorite is a 10 foot diameter, 1 inch mesh mullet net because he's after larger shad for cut bait and the larger mesh lets smaller shad get through so he doesn't have to mess with them. He also says some states have size restrictions so he's not able to use that net everywhere.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's the mesh size he's referring to or outside diameter.

· Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,761 Posts
Aaron,
This is a snippet of the General Indiana Regulations and the Ohio River specific regs.

Minnows & Crayfish
Minnows and crayfish may be collected any time through the year if a valid sport fishing license is possessed. Minnows and crayfish collected from public waters cannot be sold.

Minnow” is defined as a species of the minnow family Cyprinidae, except for exotic species identified in 312 IAC 9-6-7 and endangered species identified in 312 IAC 9-6-9, as well as suckers (carpsuckers, redhorses, hog suckers, white suckers, and chubsuckers), brook stickleback, gizzard shad, threadfin shad, and alewife. Live gizzard shad, threadfin shad, and alewife may only be collected, used, possessed, and disposed of in accordance with 312 IAC 9-6-8.

You cannot transport more than 100 crayfish across the state line in a 24-hour period unless you are commercially raising crayfish. You may use artificial lighting to take crayfish.

If you plan to catch your own minnows or crayfish, the following rules apply:

• Seines cannot be larger than 12 feet in length and 4 feet deep with mesh no larger than ½ inch stretch. Stretch is the distance between two opposite knots of a net mesh when the net is stretched tight.
  • Minnow dip nets cannot exceed 3 feet square (without sides or walls) and may not have mesh larger than ½ inch stretch.
  • Minnow traps cannot exceed 24 inches in length with the opening of the trap no larger than 2 inches in diameter. Traps for crayfish also must comply with these requirements.
  • Cast nets may be used, provided the net is no larger than 20 feet in diameter and the mesh stretch is no larger than ¾ inch.

Minnows & Crayfish
Minnows and crayfish can be taken from the Ohio River only by the following methods:

• A minnow trap that does not exceed 3 feet long and 18 inches in diameter and does not have a throat opening greater than 2 inches in diameter
  • A dip net no more than 3 feet in diameter
  • A minnow seine no more than 30 feet long and 6 feet deep that does not have a mesh size larger than ¼ inch bar mesh
  • A cast net not to exceed 20 feet in diameter that does not have a mesh size larger than ¾ inch stretch
  • Legal sport fishing methods listed on this page
Notice it says the mesh size is when STRETCHED. This is not the side of the opening in the mesh, it's the length between opposite corner knots when the mesh is pulled tight so based on that, Chris' net would not be legal in Indiana.

Product Rectangle Slope Triangle Font

...W

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Arron, the common way cast nets are measured is by radius. Folks will often refer to them by diameter so when you buy, be sure to check the actual size. I throw a 6ft net but have trouble getting it completely open. I am convened that is my technique and not the nets fault though.

If I can find the video showing my favorite method I will post it here.

tight lines.

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
I am sure throwing the net from a dock would be a little easier but for tutorial purposes it does well.

if you watch this video enough, you will be able to hear him telling you HALF as you go thru the steps. Haha

tight lines

Note when catfishing it is good to cast into heavy structure. When throwing an expensive net,,,,,it is not.

· Registered
209 Posts
No matter what you find that works for you, size of net, method, etc... Whatever you do, DO NOT have your EXPENSIVE clip on knife on your side when throwing the net!!!!!
And no, DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS!!!🤣😂🤣😂
Also, wearing a watch while doing this also has bad repercussions as well. I have HEARD that a 8ft net MAY come back with ALOT of lead weights and create a near Mike Tyson hook and set ya on your heels seeing ALOT of stars and near black out during the middle of the day!!!! Just saying!!!!🤣🤣🤣 So in theory, a front linemans helmet and bubble wrap may not be a bad investment for the beginning stages of learning a cast net!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts