Indian creek for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Jul 6, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Found a deep hole where the creek is 40 feet wide and over 7 foot deep.{ I had a 7 ' rod and I set the bobber as deep as it would go and it still floated upright i.e. not on the bottom} I thought I would catch some bullheads but instead I caught 25-30 green sunfish{up to 11 inches} 1 10inch bass 10 bluegill and 3 channel cats up to 2 lbs. I think I will be checking out the access points on the streamway parks from now on.:big_smile:The tree huggers on the trail were making fun of me for fishing there. If they only knew. Those green sunfish are aggressive they even hit the liver I threw out on the bottom for bullheads.I could see bunches of them from up above.They would all converge on my bait the second it dropprd in the water.My bait tank is overcrowded I need to invest in that 150 gallon stock tank.I hope I can keep em alive. I caught 2 turtles too a softshell and a red eared slider.I will take Junior next time he will like this place.

2. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    That is the second 11" Greenie that I have heard about this week!!!!

I have never seen one close to that big

3. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    There are a lot of good bait holes in the JOCO Streamways parks. Just remember, hook and line only there, no traps.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Most of my sunfish come from a few holes on Indian Creek. It's always been good to me, but the bigger sunfish have been scarce this year. Possibly I have fished the bigger ones out in those spots.

5. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Glad to know, I am building a trap right now.
    What about cast nets?

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    An 11 in green sunfish is close to a master angler's award on that species,
    I think. That's a lot of fight packed into a small space, I'll tell you for free!
    One of the best live baits, tough as an old boot on the hook when offered
    as flathead candy. They are a bluegill's smaller, rude cousin with a big mouth
    and enough attitude to be a smallmouth bass. What most call a
    perch around here for some reason. Don't look like a perch to me.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Rick,

The JOCO Parks, which includes the Kill Creek and Mill Creek Streamway Parks, are rod and reel only. Not sure exactly where you had in mind, but Indian Creek, Turkey Creek, etc don't fall under JOCO Parks.

However, the statewide regulations are pretty tight on traps, I prefer bigger sunfish than a legal trap can catch. From http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Fishing-Regulations/Bait-Fish methods:

"fish trap with mesh not larger than one-fourth inch and throat no larger than one inch in diameter (must be tagged with fisherman's name and address)"

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great creek for bait but as Troy pointed out you definitely don't want to be eating any of them from there. There is alot of nasty run off including sewage and pesticides in that creek!

9. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I am a perch jerker and always have been. i keep saying I'm gonna learn to throw a net but I haven't yet. Dennis is so good at throwing a 10 foot net I still haven't needed to learn to throw one.I need to get out and shoot some carp...I can do that and I am an artist with the fillet knife. I bought a new seine at Wal Mart last year for 3$. I need a partner to use it though.