Indian Artifacts---kind of long

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flysure1, Feb 27, 2009.

1. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone into collecting/buying/selling this kind of stuff? I have about a gallon pail of odds and ends, I have had most of them stuck in my basement or garage for 20 plus years, I had them looked at by some people at a state museum last sunday (they had an identify day) they said I had a few that were pretty scarce--(turkey tail and one early archaic piece) I found some myself and my dads old neighbor gave me some when he moved to town when I was a kid, I talked to the principal at the school I went to and they said they would love to have some to display in the library, I said I would get some to her, my kids have no interest in them and I am thinking about maybe seeing if there would be any interest in trading ? for them, I never posted them in the trade section because I have not fully decided what to do with them, I am just kind of seeing if there would be an interest or if it would offend anyone---none of these were dug from burial grounds that I know of--I thought I would keep maybe a half dozen and trade /sell the rest---a guy that has been wanting them is coming to look tomorrow---I hope he isn't thinking I am going to give them away for next to nothing---I will file them back in my basement if so---let me know your thoughts if you wish---thanks---Rod

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    try a musem see if they would like them

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Rod! How ya do'n. I thought that you might enjoy this thread.:big_smile:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6125&page=2

If you don't want your pieces then keep the very best ones and the ones with the best memories then go throw the rest back in a field so someone else can enjoy the thrill of discovery.:wink:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In my opinion,Its a dog eat dog market. Those wanting high prices for thier stuff and those willing to pay for it. I hunt for them ,and trade a little. I dont ever intend on selling any that I have personally found. Just too many good memories with them.:cool2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  6. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    bill in sc has quite an impressive collection! I thought about The Dickson mounds museum and a worker there said they have a basement full of collections people have donated---I will try to post some pics of what I have

7. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    okay I got a picture of artifacts into my albums--I have not yet mastered getting a pic attached to a post--I need to read some more--it takes us old fellers a little longer

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a few my self. And have sold a truck load or 3 over the years.
    I will try to post your picture for you.
    25397960065_medium.jpg
    Welcome to the BOC
    Pete

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    display them.either on a shelf or just scatter them around here and there. grownups need toys too. pick one up once in a while and play wiv it. as far as sellin them and makin good money, forget it people aint lettin go of their money like they use to. :big_smile::cool2:

10. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont trade buy or sell. Everything I have has a story behind it. The kewl thing about them is when YOU fnd one, the last person to handle it before you was that indian who needed it, used it or made it.

When you find one of those paleo, folsom or archec points you have really put yourself back in time.

Our local lakes have adopted laws that make getting them illegal now. An antiquities law I think. I could understand if its a know burial ground or a place where a controlled excavation was going on. But out in the middle of no where, or underwater, nothing is being done to protect them, whatever.... just another sign of the times that knocks my kids out of doing what i got to do growing up.

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a few. and I can tell you a story about everyone of them.I get a neat feeling everytime I find one.Just thinking how long its been there,and how it got there.I have found more tools then anything else.
    smokey