Inconsiderate Boaters Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Dave53, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    My father just turned 79 and has been talking about going fishing since the spring. He lives in Bowlingreen and I live near Lonedell Mo. so it is a 100 mile drive with my old 88 Ram. After a two hour drive I met with my dad about 8:30 in the morning and we headed to Louisana Mo. to fish on the Mississippi. With all the traffic on the Mississippi on the weekends we thought it would be better to head for a place my dad fished for years called the Salt River. I have cousins that own lots on the Salt River and they always talk about all the catfish the catch. After several hours of fishing only two small fish were caught. We fished several spots all the way to the railroad tracks that locals will know about. Though it was a great day on the river with my dad I really just about lost it several times from idiots flying by running the middle of the river. Do these idiots realize what 2 foot waves does to a boat tied off at the bank or do they even care? I was amazed at how many of these fools would fly by and wave at us. We are in a small 15 ft jon boat and with 8 ft poles hanging out that whipped back and forth like a whip. The first large boat that came by I lost my drink that was sitting in my holder. I know they have the right to be on the water too but a little common courtesy, or at the least, common sense would be nice. Some of these boats were double decker boats but most of the inconsiderate boaters were in bass boats or those 10 ft. tall monsters. Why were they running wide open on the Salt River when they came in off the Mississippi! I had to really count to ten so many times I almost lost it. My dad who has a hard time walking was really having a hard time just being able to sit in his chair. We did run into several people who cut their speed as they passed (most likely catfishermen) but I do not know how you folks on the Mississippi put up with that. I think I will stay on the Missouri River where the waves don't try to take you out of the boat. I just wished people would extend a little courtesy to others whether they are fishing or just going out for a boat ride.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya feel better now? LOL! It ain't gonna stop. :angry:

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Dave..... I feel the same way out here in California... on most rivers that I fish.. the Sacramento, San Joaquin, and Colorado River, we have the same problem... water skiers, and "Bass Boy".. in a hurry to get somewhere... and no consideration of the boats "on the hook" enjoying the fishing...

Had the same happen on night, just out in front of a channel/inlet off the Colorado river... we had our "moring light on" and this fool was right on top of us... I'm sure the folks on his boat heard me yelling something about his mother and all....:angry:....:smile2:

4. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think I would rather have a bass boat go by me at full speed, they leave less of a wake that way. The big boats should have slowed down, but most of the people in a boat like that have never been in a little boat so they don't know what its like

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    inconsiderate boaters (or a-hole's) arent just on the mississippi:angry:

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    A little common courtesy or common sense is lacking in so many of the recreational boaters... sorry you had to go through a not so pleasant experience, but do get out there and enjoy the moments with your dad you've been blessed with. :wink:

7. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Same problem in florida last time I was out two a-#### where running down a narrow part of the lake close to a old man in a real small skift I heared him hollar so I drove my boat over to see if he was ok and his boat was half full of water and he lost a rod I spent 30 minutes with my hand pump getting the water out sad thing is them jerks never looked back and he may have sunk if i was not for me:angry:

8. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Well at least they where in the middle of the river. The ones I hate are the ones that come by about 50 ft from you and they have a half mile wide river to run in...

9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    To ones the can really hurt a smaller boat close to the bank line, are the really large pleasure craft 35+ft. I can have a barge go by as close as a couple hundred feet and it really isn't that bad. When I see one of those really big cabin cruisers coming I head for cover. They send out rollers that are over 3 feet high and can pick a smaller boat up, and set it on the bank. I've had it happen, it ain't fun.:angry:

10. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Thats the difference between rec boaters and fishermen, It happens up here also. I like the ones that come next to me and keep there bearings on the wrong side. Haven't got to hear any lower units hit the rocks yet, But in time it will.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Do these idiots realize what 2 foot waves does to a boat tied off at the bank or do they even care? I was amazed at how many of these fools would fly by and wave at us.>

You know, I really DON'T think that they do know what they are doing. If they were purposely doing it, they probably wouldn't wave. Most of these inconsiderate s are weekend warriors, and I do seriously doubt that they know boat etiquette. I personally think boaters should be licensed, just as auto operators are. The issue at hand should be a part of the instructional program, to be learned before a license is issued.

Man, it's great that you are getting to spend time with your dad. I sure miss mine. Enjoy EVERY minute of it. Also, when on big bodies of water, you need a big boat to be safe, especially with dad who is having a hard time walking. Maybe you and dad could share expenses on an inexpensive pontoon boat, and y'all can enjoy his twilight years in luxury.

Bill in SC

12. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso

I agree completely!!! my boat puts out a VERY small wake at 40 - 50 mph,
    also sometimes boats that are "up at speed" dont even see the smaller , low profile fishing boats untill its too late. because "we" arn't looking at the bank area, and even if they do slow down the wake is usually MUCH MUCH bigger than if they came past full speed
    just my $0.02 worth

13. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    As a bank fisherman, those @#$%^&* jet skiers really fire me up! Nothing a 6 oz lead, or a beer can full of wet sand can't fix...

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I agree I would rather have a boat up to speed pass me. My boat will plow the water real bad if I slow down for you. No it's not a bass boat but a 20 foot jon with a 115 on it. I have more of a beef with Kayaks going over my lines when I'm fishing. Course I let them know there dumb while they are doing it too.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea its funny they dont think. Its even better when ya commen back up river and see em stuck in a sand bar or on a weir dike ect ect.:wink: But dirtheads abound its just the way it is. They dont learn till it costs em alot of $$$. Still I wont leave em stranded gota be the better man.

16. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
  17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Lucky he is still alive!!

18. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    At least 8 or 10 times that motor was within a couple of feet of taking his stupid head off. I hope he learned a lesson.

19. festus

festus New Member

I have fished since the 1960's and this has been happening everywhere I've been on reservoirs ever since I can remember. I usually try to fish places below dams and steam plants plus ponds where I don't have to worry about it. And it isn't always the recreational boaters, water skiers, and jet skis who are problems. Some fishermen don't have any more manners than the other idiots.

20. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I understand what some of you say about causing less a wake when you are running wide open. Either way I guess my point is if I see someone on the bank and I'm running on a small river or creek I creep by them so I don't cause a wave. My brother cuts his motor down and can not understand that he needs to cut it all the way down until he is walking by not to rock them out of their boat. He has a bass boat with a 25 on it and throws one heck of a wave wide open or half speed. I would not have a problem being required to sign a paper when I got my boat license about boater courtesy...