Inconsiderate bass boats

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Jul 17, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    this is my little rant...

I hit the water this morning about 5:30 am and was in the process of netting bait when I noticed that a medium sized creek with a ramp was full of boat lights...another bass tourney underway. Once I fill the livewell with shad I run downstream of the creek about 150 yds and set up about 100 yds off shore, no sooner had I dropped anchor chunked out my poles and got settled in, they started out of the creek mouth 2 at a time. Now Im not a prude and I dont mind wake and waves/chop, fishing the Ohio river is always choppy when barges are running but this morning I about gave a couple bass boats the "you're number 1 finger salute" for running next to my boat full throttle about 30-50 ft away! It just seems like these morons think they own the flippin river because they can do 70 mph and don't seem to care about other boats in the process. I mean I can see coming out of the creek full throttle, seeing my boat and at least trying to curve out away from my craft, but noooo there was no intent to even try to act in a civil manner....just made me mad.:angry:

For the record, I would like to have a boat that does 70 mph and I understand the river isn't THAT wide and there probably isnt a rule about "I was here first" but everyone has a right to be on our rivers and safety for yourself and others should ALWAYS come first. By the way I did have my lights on and was fully anchored and was out of the channel in about 20 ft of water.

Bill

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    How bad ya want a fast boat. I got a big fat yamaha with your name on it lol:smile2: Myself, i had rather someone keep it up and run, rather than back out of it and wash me to the bank. I agree about someone running close to you though, thats lack of respect if they can see you sittin there. I understand the race to the hole theory as i tourney fished alot, but also understand the term RESPECT.

3. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Bill, I understand your flustration about this! I also understand John saying wave them on thru. the quicker they get gone the better chance you have of catchin something. However some of them can sure make you want to throw a wild sinker. Sorry for their rudeness....

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Find out the name of the club and send an editorial in to the newspaper.
    A little bad publicity may persuade them to alter their blast off rules and operating rules.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm in no way saying you didn't have every right to be where you were sitting but i just thought of something you may get a laugh from. A few years ago i fished a club tourney( bass). Anyway at the start i had my little boat an 75 hp. way out of the way. I had a buddie runnin a 225 merc. who was at the start and another guy pulls his 150 johnson up beside him. Bear in mind it's feb. and cold as all get out. When the horn sounded the 150 got the 225 out of the hole, but not for long. When the 225 passed him he trimmed it up and covered this other guy with a rooster tail. There was almost a fist fight at the weigh in that afternoon, but i still don't understand why the 150 didn't just let him go, he knew he couldn't out run it.

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    They do it all the time in Georgia, I just thankful I got a 20 " transom,
    I would have been flooded if not on many fishing trips.

First Id say it anit worth going to jail over. Maybe find a cove to try.

I hope it works out for you.

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I agree with the planed out wake, but these guys were coming out of the creek getting up on plane and doing it right on top of me. However there is a little sunshine to this story I do have a 20' jon boat so it would take a whole lotta bass boat to put one over on me!! Of course I did get to practice my "sea legs" today.:smile2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill it goes on in most every tournament. You and I will never change it. Just give the idoits their distance and don't let them ruin your day. You can count yourself the winner.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Sounds like the catfishermen need to start following them around and casting 5oz lead, ya know just return the favor. :wink:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    personally i think all bass should be netted ands put into paylakes to feed the catfish.:smile2:

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Guy I know once told me that he was sitting over a tree top catching a bunch of small bass and one of them tournament fisherman come blowing by him swamping his boat some. Well needles to say this ticked him off some but what was worse was the tournament fisherman noticed what he was doing shut his boat down, turned around and nosed in on this guy. Now that really ticked this guy off so he used his trolling motor turned his boat around and trimmed up his motor. He then cranked up like he was leaving and gunned the motor covering the bassfisherman from head to toe.:smile2:

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats about like me sayin all pay lakes should be drained? Personally i mean:confused2:

13. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What's even better is when you have two ski boats pulling skiers back and forth across the area your trying to fish from the bank. They could see all of us but it seemed that they were doing it on purpose. Especially since there was nothing special about where they were skiing, the water was actually shallower and more dangerous to ski across then right across from us a little ways. And don't even get me started on the jet skier's.

14. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I had a similar situation happen last week when I was fishing on the Arkansas River. Keep in mind my dad and I do a lot of fishing off the bank because he has Parkinson's. Anyway, we'd been in our spot for about two hours and this moron in a flatbottom boat comes ZOOMING by us and stirs up the waves. I wanted to yell, "YOU IDIOT!!! YOU'D BETTER BE GLAD YOU WEREN'T CLOSER, 'CAUSE IF'N YOU WERE MY UGLY STIK WOULD COLLIDE WITH YOUR BUTT!!!"

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I thin I love you. Lets get them.

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    hearing this does not surprise me at all. People today just don't have any water manners. This type of action has proven fatal before and people are not likely to learn until something bad happens to them

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What you do is this.......after they blow by you and they get to their favorite spot....you go by them about half throttle in your boat making sure to throw a big wave and just when they are getting real pissed off....you shut her down and holler out you boys doing any good today......and then you get out your throw net and launch it in their direction and say you boys seen any shad round here..... and just when they are about to explode....you say are you idiots in that bass tourney today!!!!!!! And when they tell you about how they feel......then you tell them about how you feel!!!!!!!and then you can get out your big catfish rods and launch a 2 lb Bass with a 5 oz. sinker right up next to their boat and say if you boys catch anymore bass could I have them....I need some fresh bait................Or you could just let them blow on by you and just sit there and try to enjoy your day anyway and just except the fact that not all fishermen are created equally!!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    On a positive note I remember a time I was in my little 12' jon boat with a four horse running lines near the mouth of creek that ran into Lake Eufaula and all of a sudden two fishermen in a bass boat that were fishing a crappie tournament almost swamped me as they flew up the creek. They seemed to be impressed with their rude performance. I assumed they were not local or they would not be running that fast in a fiberglass boat. I also knew that in the middle of the channel around the bend was a rather large log that was barely visible. A big boat makes a big noise when it hits a good solid log!

19. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It seems the rules of the water don't apply to all:confused2: IN the name of the money winning fish people are blind to that boat sitting right in front of them or that nice elderly couple on the bank with all them wonderful grandchildren trying to catch that first fish . NO BOATING OFFICER TO BE FOUND ! ON the other hand you deephook a sub-legal fish instead of throwing it back to watch it swim in circles you put it on ice:wink: Here comes the warden . Is there sometimes a blind eye turned to some and not others? O well I guess the sun did rise this morning and I was lucky enough to see it .

20. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    You think you got problems, try fishing out of a Kayak !!! I'm trying to figure out how to mount a couple of torpedo tubes on mine.....:cool2: