Incoming!!!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jcat61, Aug 31, 2009.

1. jcat61

jcat61 Guest

We seen 5 or 6 sturgeon come way out of the water this past weekend on the James. Its an awsome sight to see, but 2 of them came way to close for comfort! These fish were averaging between 3 and 6 feet long, and were coming out of the water several feet. Keep your flak jackets and kevlars close!!:smile2:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Year before last I had a big one jumping all around me at the Presquille Cut through. One of the jumps was not more than 20 feet from the rear of my boat. Each time it jumped it came straight up and fell back on its side. Made a splash like someone throwing a Volkswagon in the water. How bad would I like to hook one! I have three hunting customers from England that go to the Columbia River in Washington State to fish for Sturgeon every July. They use whole shad for bait and gigantasaurus Penn reels with pool stick rods. They catch 2-6 big boys over 200 pounds per day. Definitely makes my bucket list!:wink:

3. jaybeeyakker

jaybeeyakker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for your post JCAT. I was on the river two weeks ago fishing nights. Both nights we had HUGE fish jumping all around us and close too. It was dark and we couldn't see them but it sounded like cinder blocks dropping into the water. We couldn't figure out which species of fish it could possibly be. Didn't consider the sturgeon but I've never seen one. Would love to see one of them up close.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    They are definitely attracted to the Presquille area. That's where you hear the bulk of reports from and where they have been netted up to 9' by researchers. I had something slam my rod down there a few years back that literrally was zinging line off my reel. The more I think about it, the more I think it was a sturgeon (or a 150# cat! lol). The 50's I've caught have just been a slow pull of line.

The suckers love to jump. Apparently a collision with one while motoring along at 30mph isn't pretty:
    http://www.southeasternfish.org/Documents/Leaping sturgeons.htm

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks for the post Jason an welcome aboard to the BOC!

6. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Interesting, living here, and fishing most of my life... and the first I've heard of them in the James. Have run into them on smaller, cleaner rivers, and heard some un-real stories from old timers and their run in's with them :big_smile:

7. CATFISHKKO

CATFISHKKO New Member

State:
    Chesterfield, VA
    we've been out several times in the past coupla weeks and had them jumpin all over the place just down from the presquile cut through its crazy watchin them jump

8. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Talk about your Flying Fish.