Incoming tide?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Dec 2, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We went out today and got some fish on the outgoing tide. However, when the tide switched and started coming in, we couldn't seem to find any willing fish. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what kind of spots to look for on an incoming tide. Do you just fish the opposite ends of the holes that you were catching fish in during the falling tide or is there some other technique that you employ? Fish deeper or shallower, sorry for all the questions, it just seems as though the James River is the only body of water similar to the one that we're fishing here. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Your experience doesn't surprise me, for I've always heard that an outgoing tide brings food sources downstream and into the mouth of the river; fish will feed at river's mouth. Can't really say about incoming though, other than I always thought that fish head upriver in these cases.

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I never thought about a tidal area till I actually saw it for myself. That current is very strong on the James so that stuff they eat is coming in like you wouldn't believe, even outgoing is strong. The big ones find their holes where all the food lands and don't move. I think for me the key is to find the holes.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Tidal water is no joke. Ya gotta work with the flow of the water. Feedin habits will change quite a bit with the tide. I fish the Delaware river. A very large tidal river. Spent many years on it and still learn every trip. Your idea of workin the opposite end of a hole or structure is rite on the money. Work those drop offs on a change in tide direction as well. You will find that not only what is under the surface changes thier habits but what the surface of the water looks like does as well. When the tide is comein in that inside bend will be an outside bend on the tide turn. Take the time to learn your body of water and write down or remember thier habits accordin to the tide. Hope this helps ya.

5. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I have learned one thing. Lets say you were fishing around Jordons Point when low tide occures. It is a good idea to move down river and get back into moving water... (tide coming back in) You get better boat control and I think the fish bite better when the water is moving...

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to be fishing a tidal creek I've been wanting to hit for a while now. Know there's blues up to about 30lbs there. Hopefully I'll get bit. Gonna let the river rest this weekend. Don't have enough money to get all the gas I need for a trip:angry: