incline trailer load/unloading from truck

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by BigBird, Nov 15, 2008.

1. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have trouble getting my tongue releasing from the truck due to the sharp incline in my yard. I have unloosened the bolt under the hitch all I dare. This made it better but need to bump wheels on something to release. I have some heavy rubber chocks i use now but they slide a bit.
    I thought about mounting some 6x6" blocks to a couple of 2x12s. I thought I could park onthe 2x 12s and use ss bolts to mount blocs to the end. This would give me the firm bounce I need to release the hitch. This would also keep my tires off the dirt as well.
    Anybody got a better idea or developed a better design?
    Thanks,
    Lindsay

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It would seem there is still stress applied to the ball by the hitch. You need to either block the wheels and roll forward about 1/2 inch, or back up about 1/2 inch to release the strain. Make sure your boat is fairly well balanced on the trailer or you may eat a little of the tounge. LOL

3. davidp

davidp New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a steep incline in my driveway that caused the same problem. I use a pair of car ramps. Once your get the trailer where you want it, put ramps in foront of the wheels. Put toe vehicle in nuetral and let thetrailer find its position on the ramp. Set parking brake and release trailer. No more binding and release is easy.

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    My brother had the same problem. He would chock the wheels, then just pull the hitch pin, and pull away, then remove the hitch from the tongue, and put it back on the truck.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    All are good ideas. Thanks for your help.
    I have heavy duty rubber chocks but wont stay in place well enough to jar the hitch from the ball.
    Thanks for everyones help.
    Lindsay

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Screw a couple of pieces of angle iron onto the bottom of those chocks so that when you put pressure on them, the angle iron digs down into the dirt/mud.