Inches To weight

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FlatGetter, Jul 15, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have alot of confusion when It comes to this. I have alot of fishing buddies and see alot of flatties caught each year. We all use the Berkly and Rapala 50lb. digital scales, While weighing fish in a decoy bag. This is what I come up with
    37" Depending on girth weighs about 20 pounds
    38" Depending on girth weighs about 23 pounds
    39" Depending on girth weighs about 26 pounds
    40"&41" weighs from 29 pounds to 33 pounds
    42" weighs about 34 pounds depending on girth
    43" to 43 3/4" weighs 35 to 39 lbs. which runs about
    27 1/2"girth to 28 3/4" girth
    Havent seen enough of the bigger flatheads to be able to say anymore. It could be the different rivers and lakes making the inch to pound ratio different. Over the past 5 years I have records, Over 240 flatheads been caught and released by me and my family and some buddies. Over 40 were over 3 feet long. and I have the weights for the majority of them. And thats what I come up with. It might be the small river im fishing or peoples fishing scales or some might be lies,
    But theres been about 10 40'' caught in our river and none weighed over 35lbs. Theres no way in our river a 40" flathead is weighing 40lbs Unfortunately Tell me if your inch to pound is different.

2. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In the past two years, I've caught and been witness to quite a few big fish. First was 54.6lb on the scale and measured 46". Next was 50 even on the scale and measured 46", the other one was 48lbs on the scale and measured 44"x29".
    Also this year we've boated a 37lb fish that measured 40" and a 39.5lb fish that measured 42".
    Not sure what that means, just a reference.

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I have heard of that it is 1 pound for every 1 of fish on fish over 30 inches. I don't think it is a good way to determine the weight amybe just ball park figure.

This May I caught my biggest flathead. It mesured 42'' but weighted 47 pounds. The girth was big.

Also I caught a 31'' fish that weighed 27 pounds. It was skin no girth.

These fish were all river fish.

4. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It probably could depend on the water your fishing we fish a small river which only a few fish top the 35lb. mark. Musle weighs more than fat That probably has some to do with it and our river they must not be as mush musle.

5. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    There are some formulas for average weights of different species. they are length (in inch's) cubed then divide by 1200 for crappie; 1600 for bass and catfish; 2700 for muskie, I don't remember for walleye, or you could try this calculator

http://www.bassresource.com/bassfishing/fishcalculator.html

and of course the best way would be a good scale.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    My 41 pounder was 41 inches give or take a 1/2 inch.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've got a chart that gives average weight per length and it looks like your pretty close. Like you said it might very from body of water to body of water, but that isn't a bad ball park range. Only sure way is to use a scale!

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Now my input is for a bluecat not a flathead which will have way difference ratios but my blue in my avatar was 39 inches and 32.5 #'s

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I caught a 37" about two weeks ago and it weighed 25.5# and thats coming from Pa. waters!

10. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Here in Arkanas I mostly fish a slow moving bayou. What I have noticed is the yellow coloerd flatjeads will be longer fish compared to the same weight of the molted or splotchy colored fish. grizzly

11. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    its alllllllllllllllllllll in the patterns

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey! Nice job Chris! That's a real nice data set...keep recording!

13. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I caught a 40 pound flathead that was 40 inches long. She had a nice round belly on her.