Inboard/Outboard Question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by DJH1, May 15, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Inboard/outboard motors are completely foreign to me. I do know that they are different than your basic car motors and have spark arrestors. I also know that they have an outdrive with power trim just like an outboard. Thats about the extent of my knowledge:embarassed:

Today my brother bought a 1993 18ft Bayliner Capri with a four cylinder i/o motor. I told him I would come over in the morning and take a look at it, and I just need a sense of what I need to look for. I know its watercooled and there is a water intake on the outdrive like an outboard. If we hook it up to the water hose and run it, will there be a "pee" stream coming out somewhere like on an outboard? What type of oil is best to use in marine motors? What is the usual brand of motor for this year bayliner? The answers to these questions and any other info about i/o motors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Find a shop manual. I'm guessing it's a 3.0 GM Mercruiser (black) but it could be an OMC (white). The water returns to the lake through the center of the prop not a pee hole. Usual stuff belts, hoses, impeller and water pump on engine. Clymer makes good manuals. It's an automotive type engine. The bellows needs a good look.