Inboard or Outboard Motor

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by rush_60, Jan 11, 2010.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Ok I have a project boat. Its a 20' flatbottom 72" wide. It was originally setup for an outboard. The last owner paid to have an inboard pod added to the boat, adding an extra 4 feet to the boat, making it 24 feet. It doesn't have a motor now. So my question is go back with the inboard or cut the pod off and go with an outboard? I'll be using it mainly for river fishing. Fishing from march to november.

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    By the way I did a search on inboard/outboard and nothing that was related to this came up but I'm sure someone has asked a similar question, so any links to past conversations would be helpful.

3. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    A boat that size all ready set up for it, HANDS DOWN NO QUESTION INBOARD!

4. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    An inboard such as a 4.3 will last longer than most any outboard. Parts can be bought at any auto parts store. Fuel economy will be good.

I say this assuming a boat that size will be used in deeper water.

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    yeah deeper water. If i want to go shallow I have the kayaks for that.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Casey post some pics. so we can see what ya got goin.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    She's a bit ugly but I still lover her. The top bolts down so I can take the cabin on and off with just a couple hours of work.

Attached Files:

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    a couple more. needs quite a bit of work and this aint something thats gonna be done this year. By the time I'm done I probably could have bought something like it for less but I like projects.

Attached Files:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would just have to wonder about the qualifications of the person who added the extra length to the boat. The stress that a boat goes through with large swells and choppy water could easily break the keel of a boat not done right. I'd sure want to know his qualifications, and if a shop did it, I'd want to know what type a warranty it had with it. It is not really important, your just betting your life and your passengers life that it was done right.

10. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I'll have to tear up the floor to see but it was welded really well and the aluminum they used was a heavier gauge than the boat is made of. Its been used as a dock pusher so I really looked it over hard for stress cracks in the welds and didn't find any.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id go with an Outboard. If you ever decide to fish in the winter, especially since you'd have an enclosure, it would be much more user friendly.
    Like Lawrence said, I would be cautious of the add on. Judging by the pics, which only tell so much, it looks like a pretty professional job, but that is a pretty major mod.
    If it were mine, Id keep the enclosure, just take a few feet off of the back side for more room when fishin.
    Should make an awesome boat Casey.:good: Hope you can find time to work on her with your 10 jobs.:sarcastic::laugh1:

12. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    If it is done right that could be a cold or hot weather fishn MOFO. Heater a/c.. Looks like some work but it looks like fun.:biggrin:

13. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Yup! You go with an inboard & you then have the option of adding both heat & AC. A new in the crate inboard can be had for much less money than a new outboard. The initial cost can be the same or more. But once you have your drive & cooling system that stuff can be used on another motor. Regardless what any one says, stay with A CLOSED COOLING SYSTEM!!

Some of the the points brought up carry some merit. I have built a couple of boats from aluminum. Any time you have a transition of material of different strength you can have a weak or "STRESS" point at this juncture. If it is not done right. Proper back chipping of butt welds & bracing are needed.

This does not have to be aluminum of different thickness. It can be the welding of say 5052 to 5083. While both of these are marine grade aluminum they have very different yield rates. Simply put in their welded & natural state they are very different in strength. It could cause issues if not done right. All of these issues I mention can be of no issue if done right.

Have a good welder engineer fella look your project over. Getting the thoughts of more than one would be best. I guarantee you will be glad you did. The information you will get from doing this will be well worth your effort.
    Keep us posted on your progress. Any question I can help with ask away. I know some of the best boat builders in our country.

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  14. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
  15. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    That thing looks like it should have cannons sticking out of it.

16. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Not a bad idea.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now I wouldn't mind having a project like that. I would have the welds on the add on checked by a pro and put an inboard on it.

18. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good looking Project!!!Got any guns mounted to that battleship yet??/:confused1:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  19. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man....... What a machine.......If it were mine I think I would go small block chevy with a berkeley jet drive! That is assuming the add-on is o.k.

Attached Files:

20. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Went and hauled it home today. Looks like shortening the enclosure will be no problem, and the transom is really beefed up with large gussets. So I think I'll be going with the inboard.