Inaugural "Big Red Blunt" run.

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well folks, after church today, I couldn't stand it any longer. Me and BAREFOOTFISHN decided to put the Pee Dee Explorer III, AKA Big Red Blunt, to it's first river challenge. There were a lot of unanswered questions in my head. The first question was whether my truck would pull it out of the water and up the boat ramp. I went to Blue's as that is the shortest ramp we have. Truck pulled it right out, no problem! :big_smile:. My next question was, how would the big boat handle on the river. I will say that the boat handled flawlessly. The suicide ball on the wheel is the ticket for precise navigation. The big Merc 200 runs like Swiss watch, and fortunately this day, did not get a single bump or blemish. We piddled around for about three and a half hours on the river, and used 3 gallons of fuel. Much of that time was tied up fishin'. I still haven't decided if I am going to keep this engine, as it is much too nice, and just too much motor for our river. I may sell it and buy a smaller 4 stroke. If anybody knows anyone who might be interested in a trade... I have ONE FINE ENGINE to do so.

We figured on catching some bream for bait, but could not immediately catch any, so a guy gave us some deer liver to fish with. Did not get a hit on the liver, but Chris fished a wax worm on the bottom, and caught two channels and two bream pretty quickly. That was a good sign for the first day in the boat to not get skunked! :smile2: About that time, darkness was creeping up, so we decided to call it a day for at that time, we hadn't seen whether the truck was going to pull the boat out or not. :wink: All in all, I am VERY PLEASED with all aspects of the boat. Extremely comfortable, and trailers like a dream. Still have a few rod holders to get placed correctly, and need to move the captains seat back about eight inches. Also still need to get my live bait tank operational. We took my 6 month old mutt for her first time today as a boat dog, and she is gonna be a good 'un. Sure is nice to have the extra space for comfort and critters.
    Bill in SC

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad it all was all good brother Bill.:wink:

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Like you said Bill, you didn't get skunked:wink: Glad the boat is working out for ya!

4. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Good to hear it went off without a problem.

I guess the next BOC gatherin will be on "BRB" and then we can all crash in your cuddy cabin?

Bill in SC--"Water Transport Services" WTS on the BRB :cool2:

You are building up the fleet, aren't you? :wink::smile2::smile2:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Glad to hear everything worked out. I know how it is about setting up a new boat. It will take several trips before you get it excactlly like you want it. I spent 1 week setting the pontoon up just like I wanted and after 1 fishing trip I had it all tore back apart changing stuff around. I cant wait too check it out.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dammitall, after a great trip yesterday, that kidney stone jumped back on me last night. This time, my kidneys actually locked up and I could not pee, just trickling blood every few minutes I knew the emergency room could only catheterize me, and run up another big bill, so I toughed it out. (with the aid of two percocets) Finally in the middle of the night, something freed up and I peed. Last week when they told me the stone had moved from my kidney to my urinary tract, I figured passing it would be easy, at 2 to 3 mm in size. I guess it moved and blocked everything off last night. Boy, I'll be glad when this nightmare is over! I prayed a LOT last night! :wink:
    BB in SC

7. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Drink a case of man colas to flush her out brother.
    Good luck with that by the way.
    Jonathan

8. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    "AKA Big Red Blunt"

Hey Bill, you ridin' dirty down there on the Pee Dee?

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! Only my hair dresser knows for sure! :wink: Seriously, the boat was AKA named because it is so strange lookin', and has a very blunt nose.
    BB in SC

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Hey Bill, Are you coming to our gathering on West Point Lake?

If so, I need to get you on the camping list. :wink:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'd love to, Paul, but I declare, I don't think my finances will allow it this time. I sincerely appreciate you thinking of me though.
    Bill in SC

12. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Now Bill, we've discussed this before.....If you want to go, just say so. I'm almost positive that we could handle the rest....

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You are too kind, Matt!
    BB in SC

14. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    If you really knew me, you'd take that back! Ask pop pop....I'm a butthead. But Sunbird made me that way. But seriously, anybody that wants to join us on our road trip to GA should be able to go. I mapquested it. It's not bad at all. Yeah, I know, you're over near the NC line. No biggie. It'll be a good scenic trip. Just let me know. You've still got my phone number, right? If not, PM me, or ask Pop pop or Sunbird. They've got it. I don't care if they give it to you. Just don't make a hasty decision. Study on it a bit and let me know for sure in a month or two. :cool2:

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just checked, and that's in April, right? Heck, I might be able to pull that off. Yes, I have your number in my cell! :big_smile:
    BB

16. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Then why have I not gotten any calls?