In town bird hunting.

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by litltman, Feb 9, 2007.

1. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    good morning. does anyone here love to hunt and eat birds. this is a little different than you would think. other than going out and shooting doves. I also like to eat black birds and robins. trouble was, that I live in town. beside a church and around the corner from the police station. however, I bought a 177 cal pellet rifle and to my surprise, it will pull down a bird from a tree 150ft away. so being careful not to hit anything I am not suppose to. I can bird hunt in my neighborhood. kind of brings back the days of my childhood when I would shoot birds with a bb gun. surprising how that same feeling comes back when using the pellet rifle for birds. just thought I would share that with you all. have a blessed day.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are one crazy dude Steve. I'll give ya that. So, what does hummingbird taste like?

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    kinda like eating a sunfish got to get a whole mess ofem for a snack LOL

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    My family grew up in Pennsyltucky and my grandfather would bring home blackbird crow dove and just about watever else made the mistake of being noticed. Im not even shure of all that Ive ate growing up

5. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    good morning, I have not tried a hummingbird, how ever, I did try a red bird. I almost chocked on it. but those robins and black birds are great. I only ate the breast from them. fried or steamed in gravy.mmmmmmm gooood.:still_dreaming:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I read in a history book once that starlings,and sparrows were brought here by english colonists to be raised for food .......see now theres too much of a good thing just like carp

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i seen in the other thread that robins looked exactly like doves when dressed out. never ate one and when i was young and dumb i used to shoot em, but ide leave em lay. well its a law in illinois against shooting any winged animal except for crows, blackbirds and sparrows. except in season. course no season here for songbirds.

now a days i shoot doves still in season and love nothing more than a wild game meal. between fish, deer, and squirrel this year ive had very few meals from a market. and just aquired a buck and 2 doe rabbits yesterday to breed fryers for the freezor.

i got nothing against anyone for what they eat. ever heard of parboiling a opossom? then he hair comes off. then it can be roasted. came right out of a cookbook. ive not eaten opossomand prob wouldn't less i was told it was coon, or rabbit. but if it tastes good hell eat it. i seen alot of folks knocking robins. bet not a one has ever eatin it. except mark. he said he had. everyone else past judgment just from what they were used to.

im not gonna do it for 1 reason. its illegal here, cuz if its good im gonna get in trouble lol. so im just gonna pass on the idea for that reason.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    what kind of pellet gun do you have

i got a breakbarrell rifle from crosman and can down pigeons from 50-60 yards off a telephone pole