In this kind of weather, how do you keep your live bait alive?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Sunburn, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    do you use bait buckets with air pumps and a little ice? I sometime use the live well in my boat, but that sure isn't gonna work when bank fishing. What say you folks?? Thanks for your time.

2. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah thats what I'm using , a bait bucket with a hand full of ice and a air pump. Plus make sure you set it in the shade. I haven't had many die on me so it seems to be working.
    Best of Luck, Matt AKA DESODE

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    if you'r using baitbuckets and it's hot out you're gonna need to change the water often....ice is good too, and keep good air on them.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Good insulated bait bucket is always a good choice. You can buy one with the sterifoam insulator in them. As previously stated ice cubes in there for keeping cool an oxygenated is a great way to ensure bait is good an lively.

5. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you have city water do not throw ice in the bucket because it is chlorinated. Instead freeze a pop bottle of water and toss it in with your bait. Well water should be fine though....olj

6. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey man great idea I never thought about a bottle. Thanks

7. lake2river

lake2river New Member

State:
    Patriot, Indiana
    I've used one of the smaller-size blue plastic artificial ice packs...can't remember the name right now (sorry it's late) but they are available at Walgreens and the like. Reusable. the smallest size ones work best for me in the bait bucket. But still--it's challenging sometimes when it's SO hot out!

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep you have to be careful with ice! I use gallon jugs filled with spring water that I have frozen. Seems to do the trick nicely

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Keeping bait cool & alive is not a problem, but when you put it in hoy river water it doesnt stay alive long after coming out of the cold water

10. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I bought one of those wire mesh bait baskets and when I'm set up at a spot, I put my bait in the basket. Drop it over the side of my boat or tie it to a tree and toss it in the water. Be sure to temper your bait when moving it from one body of water to another. This will also reduce losses.

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I use a frozen ice bottle also. As was stated you have to be some what careful on how cold the water gets as I have put the bait into dormant before. As was stated I have seen bait that was too cold die because of the warmer waters once baited.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Phil, I know its a little late but I was searching old posts and found this question.
    I use one of these Plano buckets. I've drilled holes in the lid and all over the sides. I leave the bottom 4 or 5 inches intact. I just place this in a 5 gal bucket full of water with a couple aerators just to transport. When I get the boat anchored the bait bucket goes into the water and I tie it to a cleat. That way they are accustomed to the water temp and you don't have to aerate them or change water or add ice. I leave the bottom without holes so that when I ease the bucket up to the surface all the water drains out but that little bit. It keeps the bait from thrashing around so much if they still have a bit of water. If I have to keep them overnight I just fill two extra 5 gal buckets and switch the bait bucket into a fresh one every 6 or 8 hours. I can keep 25 or so gills,crappie, bass etc in one of these and they all stay lively all night. If you bank fish just tie a longer rope to the handel so you can swing it out from the bank into a little deeper water.

Attached Files: