In the thicket?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by bootshowl, Nov 16, 2006.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I wondered what the ole hands thought best choice of firearm for really heavy cover shooting. I put my stand on a really heavy traffic trail intersection 25yds off what was a soy bean field. The trails are wide but everything else is dense timber/new growth. Indiana is a no rifle state.
    My choices are 12ga. slug, 50cal. shockwave, 41 Mag. handgun. I'm thinking 12ga. slug would perform better for this than the smokepole with shockwave bullet. Good news is I can carry the pistol too. In a rifle state this would be where the 45/70 would play well. What ya think?

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think a slug gun would be your best option.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think a heavy slug would do just fine. Good Luck.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Boots, I agree with 12 gauge but I would take the shot with the .41 mag if he gives you a good opportunity. Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing the results.

st

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well boots sounds like you have a tough choice but i think any will do the trick im not gifted with an arsonel quite as large so my choice would be between the 12 ga slug or the trusty 30-30

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    from what you just descirbed, it sounded to me like were hunting the same tree stand...:tounge_out: i use my 870 12ga. and its proven to be useful to me.

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    12ga, would be my choice.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know much about shotgun slugs but in thick cover I opt for the heaviest bullet you can use. I hunt a lot of thickets so I shoot 170 or 180 grain bullets in both my 30-30 and 30-06. My Remington 1100 doesn't do too well with slugs but after the third or fourth day of gun season, when the deer start hiding out, I use single "O" buckshot and start jump shooting them like rabbits. Around here they will lay up and watch you walk by unless you almost step on them.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Seems like everyone is in agreement on the slug. Thanks for the advice folks. I've gone out two days, but the wind wasn't in my favor for the lay of the farm. I had just wondered about the shockwave performance in brush. It has a spire pt. and I know I can reach out with it, but thought it might not perform well in heavy cover. I had read that most don't. I'm gonna save it for the muzzle loader season and go to a farm mostly pasture/field. Think I'm gonna have to try the powebelts though. I'm down to two places to hunt now. Sad we have lost so much land to developement. Seems like we are really crowding each other. I can remember the farmers being happy for you to come out and thin the herds cause of the crop damage, now it seems like it's a problem for them to accommodate all the requests. Hate to see the family farms disappearing.
    Luck to all and thanks.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if you cant use the black powder except in the powder season id recommend the 12 ga with a riffled barrel they will reach out there fairly well and i dont see why it wouldnt shoot thru brush . i use black powder during gun season , only get one shot but thats all you need . i have a 50 cal i load it with pyrodex 50/50 two pellets gives me 100 gr and im sighted in dead on at 100 yards 2 inches high at 50 yards at 100 yards iv shot thru a 8 inch tree so penetration is not some thing i worry about . if i get up in the morning :lol: its all ready morning im going hunting with a freind takeing the ground blind gonna set up on a hill where we can see a range of 300* its a well traveled area been a 10 pointer seen there two mornings in a row , if he comes in my cross hairs im takeing him out .

11. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Or you could always just pick one of these up...... BFR

I looked at one awhile back at a gun shop, I can't describe the feeling I got when I held it. I just put it down, said thanks and left. It was either that or I woulda been hunting a range somewhere. lol

Joe

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ain't they a hoot! 44mag makes me flinch a little. I was at the range when a fella come out to shoot a 500 S&W. Well I seen it coming and put the muffs on over my earplugs. He wasn't an inexperienced shooter, and he took a two hand hold, but when he capped the primer Mr. S&W smacked him right in the face. One round, back in the car on the way for stiches. He had enough sense to bring a friend with him. Because it didn't look like he was in any shape to drive. I don't think I want a handgun you have to wear a shooting glove to keep from hurting your hand. Just me.
    :roll_eyes:

13. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    I hear ya Boots, but i would still like to have one of these bad boys. According to their site "The BFR in 45/70 recoils less than any .44 Magnum that weighs under 3-pounds." I think alot of it is the sheer weight of the gun that keeps the recoil in check, and the deathgrip i'd have on it. lol

Joe

14. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    In brush the most accurate and flatest shooting weapon is the best choice. No projectile will "buck the brush" and not be deflected to some degree. What you need is a weapon that you can find that hole thru the brush with.
    In non-rifle areas I use my Savage ML II. It is a muzzleloader that gives me modern rifle ballistics and uses smokeless powder. The only drawback is it is a single shot due to the time needed for reload. Of course, over the years, the number of times that I have taken a second shot at a deer probably twice in 40 years. So a single shot is not really a problem.