In The Navy Looking For New Places To Fish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by rondawg, Jan 2, 2006.

1. rondawg

rondawg New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    Hello All!! I'm In The Navy Stationed In Norfolk Area. I Have Fished Walker Dam And Chocohominy River Park. Does Anybody Know Of Any Other Places To Go For A Land-locked Catfisher That Is Close To Norfolk For Large And Plentiful Catfish?? Thanks For The Info.
    Rondawg

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Rondawg, check the old posts for areas to fish the James from shore. There are a few locations but I don't know where they are specifically.

The riverfront park is good for some decent fish. I assume you've been fishing from the pier? In the spring, try and get access to the point there. You need to be able to cast long. Fish cruise that point pretty regularly - though I doubt it would be productive during the winter. I've caught blues to about 20 pounds while anchored there. There is a DEEP hole right in the mouth of the creek just to the right of the point. Again you need to cast long. It would require a 10-12 foot surf rod to reach the hole.

If you really want to get into the hawgs - now is the time. Get yourself a portable depth finder, hit the MWR for a boat and go launch out of Deep Bottom or Osborne on the James. Find structure in deep holes and cast large chunks of cut shad.

/Scott

3. rondawg

rondawg New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    Thanks Scott!! Yeah I Went Out There Friday But It Was Pretty Slow Only Saw A 10# And 15# Caught All Day I Have A 11' Catt Maxx Rod Then I Had A Penn 320gti On It But When I Got Back Home To Vb I Changed It To One Of My Abu 6000's I Can Cast It A Lot Father.. There Were Some Guys Out There With $300.00 Plus Rod And Reels. I Don't Know If I Can Compete With Them.. I Went Up There During The Summer And Cleaned House On The Eating Size Fish When I Was Camping.. The Prob With Mwr Is I Don't Have A Place To Park The Boat If I Were To Rent One, Town House In Vb.. Are You In The Service??

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm a retired Senior Chief. Currently working in bldg X-137 at the Naval Station.

That 6000 will do just fine. You'll lose a little bit of distance with the level wind & it could proably use some tuning. What's the lure weight range of that rod?
    /Scott

5. rondawg

rondawg New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    The Weight Rating Is 1 To 6 Oz. I Think I Am On Duty Right Nowon The Bataan I Am An Ic1 With A Little Over 12 Years In. 20 Is Not Coming Soon Enough. If I Hadn't Gotten Out I Would Be At 17 Right Now. Yeah I Like To Cast The 6000 But I Really Want A 7000b High Speed.. If I Can Talk The Wife Into It. I Practice Casting Almost Every Day I Have A 5 Acre Pond Across The Street From My House. A Lot Of 2 Plus Lb Crappie In There. Where Is The Deep Bottom Landing?

6. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Deep Bottom is another 30 minutes up highway 5 from the riverfront park. Osborne is a few minutes further. Those ramps give you good access to the section of river from Hopewell to Richmond. There is a park at Deep Bottom, but I read a sign today that said no fishing on weekends or holidays. Go figure! I guess it's to keep people from tying up the dock when boaters are trying to launch. It's a shame because there's a nice deep hole right in front of the ramp that probably holds good fish.

Your rod oughta cast 4-6 ounces very nicely (bait & weight). When the tide starts ripping you may have trouble holding bottom. What is the practice on that pier? Do they pretty much allow for drift?

/Scott