In the Mississippi River near Winfield

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jun 18, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My navionics and hotmaps installed in my new Humminbird 797c2SI unit has me navigating across dry land. It seems to be almost 100 yds off. Anyone else having these accuracy problemsin this location? Yes, I have the premium map upgrades.:angry:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm a Lowrance fan Daryl so probably cant help out too much. I can say the river changes drastically on a year to year basis, and the nav databases on the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers is pretty spotty anyway. You'll find they arnt very usefull for exact locations on wing dykes and channels and such as these things change yearly with the rising and falling of the river water levels. As well, huge sandbars may develop quickly that were not there before therefore your unit would not have that in its "memory" I think your hummingbird will work great on area Lakes as these bodies of water dont change too much on a year to year basis and the databases are spot on. I think you will find if you use your store waypoint feature it will be extremely accurate in bringing you back to a good hole you had luck in. Thats all I use mine for. Hope it gets better for you.

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Cuz,

For instance was motoring through Sandy slough and under the bridge. Well, the bridge hasn't moved in 50 years or so and it wasn't where it said it was.

Goes to show that you can't rely on these to navigate blind.

Was just hoping for a little better accuracy.

Still having trouble with the unit showing clutter everywhere even at the lowest sensitivity. Only been out once so far on a shakedown cruise, hope I can adjust the location of the transducer to get it worked out a little better.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Geez, wish I could help out a little more. I just dont know the hummingbirds. On the Lowrances we have a couple different settings that we adjust, one being sensitivity, the other clarity. Find someone that understands Hummingbirds and let them see it. There is always an outside chance the unit is not performing properly. Let us know how it turns out. Hummingbird makes good stuff. You'll get it worked out in no time.

5. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hello Darrly, my Humminbird navigation system works very well on the river, its pretty accurate, even with all the markers postage to the side of the river it lets me know where I am. I have the 997cSI with navionics pre-loaded. When I first hit the water with mine its seems to have a lot of clutter on the screen, I adjust the sensitivity did not help much. when you register you unit on-line at www.humminbird.com see if there's an update for the 797cSI unit, I updated the software for mine no more clutter, I'm even ruuning at high speed 44 mph with no problem, I had to purchase a card reader to download the update. $15.00 at Walmart.

6. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    997c SI Combo Update3.720v3.720 New depth algorithm to improve performance at high speeds. Improved FishID algorithm. InterLink support. Support for HCSD (High-Capacity SD) cards larger than 2GB. Fixes various minor issues found in testing. v3.680 Minor touch-ups. v3.660 Adds full support for Navionics Platinum cartography.

3 MB
    This was the update for my 997cSI
    :big_smile:

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks again, I'll get mine registered and see whats available in the tech support area.

I'm loving my new seaark, only had it out once so far.