In the Making

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Flamekeeper, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I have been a member here for a couple of years now , Long enough to know that there is the best advice given by the best Cat fishermen on this planet. Its the ones who know that something isn't right as soon as he or she picks up a rod,and it just does not feel right.

To each man his own,his weight, height, build, even the size of his hand, it all comes into play when you plan on building a Custom rod for yourself.

The right rod just feels good in the hand, its balanced and smooth to move around,flipping over a log, swinging it down the bank or just casting it out a long distance.It just feels good. You know what I mean GUYS right!.

Well this is the first time I'm going thru a web site and picking out pieces for a custom rod.
    I need your( opinion and advise )on this rod that will be put together by Jim (Gator).hopefully.

For 2-3 weeks, hours each night I went thru the pages of butts,blanks,handles,fore grips,guides,tips and come up with this .

Graphite USA
    United Series DHX Big Game Saltwater Rod Blank
    Pre order 2pc, in Cobalt Blue. 6 week turn around time,thats:crazy:

Model - Length - Action - Power - Line- Lure - Tip- Butt - Wt
    URS86M - 8'6" -Mod/Fast- Mag-Med-15-30 - 1-5 -8 - .735 - 4.74

19.9" Blk/Gold, Stuart Tuff Butt System with reel seat with a 2 1/2" polished spacer before the 8" fore grip.

American Tackle, GZHC Casting Guides,
    Zirconia Ring Casting Guides, Gold Ring / Holographic Frame

With metallic blue and gold wrapping thread. ( Double wrapped ).

1,#40,-1#30,-1#20,-1#16,-1#12,-2#10,and #10 boat tip, blk,frm/bl,ring.
    With fold-able hook keeper.

Well guys what do you think?> any suggestions?.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sounds like you know what you want , good luck and enjoy it

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds like it will be a rod you'll be happy with. Nothing like catching a fish on a rod you built yourself. Just take your time with guide placement. That can make or break a rod. I have built several flyrods and been meaning to build a cat rod. Good Luck!

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The only thing I might change is the guides, I prefer Stainless steel eyes with no insert ring to pop out.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Brad I've read everthing I could on these ,their reputation is good, heavy duty,braid line resistanced.Heres the link to them,and the rest of the gear. what type guide you use Bro, that way I can look them up and go from there. thanks Kenny

http://shop.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Blue-and-Holographic/GZHC-Casting-Guides.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I think I got a rod with them eye's can't remember though. Although they sure don't look like they can take a beating like a cat rod could take.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    crazy,Hows it going? thanks for your reply bro.
    You might have them on a custom rod,or if you ordered and installed them.
    I have some eyes on 2 other custom rods,,and even on a 7'fenwick sea hawk offshore, that are a whole lot less a grade. and have pulled in hundreds of cats on them and haven't got a cut or pop out yet.I conceder them ceramic eyes pretty good, but these are of a whole lot better quality being double footed and titanium over zirconia rings.

But I'm looking for the oppinion of all the board on this one. to get the best for this rod,to make it the best I can.for the type of fishing I will be doing,which will be bank fishing, lot of casting, hunti'n for blues and flatheads.up to 80lb+:big_smile:

Hey brad, who makes the guides you are speaking of.?.

Come on BOC-USA, if you were building a custom rod for this type of fishing would this be a good choice for you?. any :0a36: please

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    When I was surfing through the mudhole catalog awhile back I looked at getting the same eyelets but never foound a rod blank I wanted so I never got anything. They look like they'll get the job done for you.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i like the faster tip but a med action rated at 15-30# thats like a ugly cat? going after 80#ers with an ugly cat?

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That is very nice Flame.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
  12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :0a28: I cannot beleive it ,out of 168 hits 10 replys and 4 of them were my own thanking others or asking for some advise on this rod I will be getting built by Gator Rods. We fish for big fish right:roll_eyes: some of us do LOL.

158 people must have liked what I picked out. If so let me know bro's. I'd like your oppinion on it regaurdless. I'm ready to order this thing and getter done.

:embarassed: I thought we helped a fellow Catman out on this forum?
    a few pointers maybe?..anybody..........Thanks again Brad,Tea.

New ?.
    Has anyone else on the Boc ever have someone build them a rod?>:0a28:

if so can I ask what size blank?/power?/action?/line,wt.?/lure wt.?
    and what type of fishing you do mostly,flatheads/blues/ bank/boat?>

come on Guys,talk to me,let me hear something about yours.

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I fish with all md/hvy rods, and have caught several Big fish. My son even brought in a 46lb flathead with a zebco 33 and 8lb line,he fought that fish for about a hour,but finnally got him in using the rod and moving drag constantly to wear the fish out.

But I kept thinking on what you said,on that Mag/Med 15-30 and even though it has a lure weight of 1-4oz it would be a good rod but after long looks at the charts I changed my mind and beefed it up to a Mag/Hvy, or might even to Mega/Hvy.20-40 1-5oz 8'6" 2pc

thanks for the thought, kscathunter
    Kenny

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    8'6" h action 20-40 1-5oz thats sounding alot like what I use 5oz and 40# mono. I like the action of my new 8'h ugly stick bwb rod it has the extra foot that gives it a little more action over the 7'mh tiger witch also is nice and stout but less action. just remember that a lesser rod may do the job but alot can hapen in the extra time it takes it to do it. pop ops there went the hook no no no not in the tree.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    LOL. Yeah brandon ;I know what you mean, trees ai'nt no fun :lol: haha.

I have a 7" Fenwick Sea Hawk Offshore,med/hvy with a fast tip, and man that thing will stop a 40#fish in like a bluegill. On rock flats and around deadfalls is probably where I set it up at 90% of the time.

We use zebcos to catch bait every day before we fish and thats when he caught that 46 on he was fishing for bait( bluegills ) when it hit a peice of nightcrawler LOL, It will probably never happen again,but I'd like to give it a try one time.It would be fun.
    Good Luck on the water

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you should watch the video link in the thread structure structure .... youll see why bigger is better. and your not the only one catching big cats on a chunk of worm but thats a pretty darn biggun id bet itll hapen again maybe not that big but who knows.

17. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    sounds like "your the man with a plan", eh? Sound great too! The only changes I would make would be the guides. I preferr SS304 Stainless steel (fuji) Guide system and I would make it a foot or so longer. But thats me. I wanna see pics when it's done! I bet it'll shine like a new car! Ahhh, I love a brand spankin new rod!
    Good luck Brother!

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Buddah,
    yeah I'm having one built now by tom knox, the blank should be in this week according to tom, its a 8'6" 2pc,MedHvy,Mod.he is going over the specs on this rod right now to let me know the cost of building it, I sure will post Pic's of them as soon as I get'em in the mail.:lol:

. I pref err SS304 Stainless steel (fuji) Guide system
    I've been looking thru the books and I cannot find the ss304,Where did you find them?.

I had a Pro at MudHole Rod Building,tell me that the set I chose would stand up to any braided line and to the punishment of the BIG Fish.
    But I'm still looking because I,m going to have 4 more built this year, as gifts to Me:lol: and my sons and brother.and they might be a little different than the 2 I'm building for myself.
    ....................................................................................................
    ...................................................................................................

,,,kscathunter,,,quote
    you should watch the video link in the thread structure structure .... you'll see why bigger is better. and your not the only one catching big cats on a chunk of worm .
    bro,I don't need a video,I,m 47 and have been fishing as soon as I could hold a pole in my hand. I've experienced enough big fish battles to know that all I need is the Fenwick 7' Sea Hawk to pull up any cat ,or a shark if need be.But I can get'em with any 8'er I have for sure.
    OH. I did not say that I was the ONLY one catching big fish, my son caught the fish.and I'm sure almost everybody on this site has caught a big fish or 2:wink:

good luck Fishing guys

19. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've bought two rods from Tom this year, and they're the best I've seen. You won't be disappointed with his work.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sorry i didnt mean catching big fish i ment catching bigger cats while trying to catch baitfish:confused2: