In the days when the river was often YOURS alone!

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by peewee williams, Aug 9, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Just looking at the different "Braided" lines lines that Sears sold in the 1906 catalog.It came in "Cotton,Linen and Silk".It came in "Plain,Oiled or Enameled".In came in "25 yard spools" and "50 yard spools".The spools could be connected together to give you up to 100 yards of line in one piece.

3 of the 14 reels listed are Shakespeare.The other 11 names are no longer in business.Two were fly reels,the rest casting reels.

They held 25 to 100 yards of line.

Some even advertised a drag!

Sorry all of you he man bait casting fishermen.Not a single level wind offered!:wink:

Same goes for us sissy spinning and spin casting reel guys.:eek:oooh:

I bet the water was calm!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    interesting information peewee yep i'm one of those spinning reel guys lol

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Peewee, you're not speaking from memory, are you??:smile2:

Things were different years ago... My dad took us out in the 60's with steel one piece rods and old Mitchell reels... We had a blast.

And I thought that "he man" baitcasters still didn't use a levelwind reel!:wink:

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ITS A BAITCASTER AND HAD SOME REALLY ODD LINE ON IT.....

THE REEL HAD NO ANTI REVERSE.... NO DRAG......BUT HAD SOME STRONG BRAIDED LINE....

I THINK IT WAS SILK :eek:oooh:

ILL POST A PICTURE IF I FIND IT AGAIN :wink:

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have one of my great grandpas old rod and reel combos...The rod was steel or some sort of metal, it was only about 6 foot long..The reel is an old baitcaster and i think the brand name is a Cangley Lakecast..Never heard of it, but it looks pretty old, it has some sort of braided line on it also.

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I think back in those days you'd of found a lot of cane poles for every store bought rod and reel. :)

My grandpa started me fishing on a old 9' fly rod with no reel, in effect a fancy cane pole. Piece of braided line run through the guides and tied at the handle. with a short mono leader. Some of those bigger gills really ripped up the water. Heaven help you if you actually got into a bigger fish.

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    My dad told me stories about my grandpa, who I never met, fishing for walleye with a cane pole. Many days he caught fish when everyone else with those fancy rods and reels got skunked.. And if a northern bit his line, he just waited for it to shake itself off. He wouldn't touch those "trash" fish..:eek:oooh:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I do get confused with my memory.I can never remember if it is 1906 BC or 1906 AD.

I would never "own up" to the "memory' thing.If I did own up to my age,King George might have me water boarded and then dissected to find how I lived this long or how old I am!

Good fishing off of the Ark.Plenty of water and no competition!

I am down and slow right now.I will get back with you all when I can.Keep it coming.I can enjoy reading your post.Thanks all.

I love You Brothers and Sisters.peewee

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee