In spirit of the 96lber

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by MossyBack, Dec 29, 2008.

1. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Now that the handling of that beautiful fish has been set straight I think that a discussion on the proper way to handle not just a big fish but all fish is in order. I am talking about netting, holding, hook removal, photographing and releasing. We can talk about it all we want but unless it is done right as in the case with the 96lbr, we can do serious harm to them. Some people just don't know how it should be done and there are a lot of people on this forum that have thousands of cprs to there credit and can be a huge help. Let the discussion begin ( I will post mine tomorrow, have to change a diaper).

2. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    Call me dumb but what is the right way to handle a big cat?:confused2:

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    dont use a gaff for one and get your pics and get them back in the water

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Here are some tips to keep in mind:

1) NETS. Don't use a net if possible, and if you use one use a rubber coated one. Those scratches you get on a lot of fish are from the net. If you land them with a net get them out of it before they thrash around in the boat.

2) WEIGHING. Never weigh them by their jaw. Place them in a container to weigh them. The jaw is not designed to be a handle, so don't carry them around by it.

3) RELEASING. Be prepeared to walk the fish around for a good while after taking them out of a holding tank or live well. This could mean 10-15 minutes before it swims off ok. The new environment and new water may shock the fish just like it does when you place it in a livewell.

4) WET HANDS. Make sure your hands or gloves are wet if you are handling a fish. This reduces how much slime comes off. If you have a real whopper and have to cradle the fish against you for a picture be sure to wet your shirt. You're getting slimmed anyway, so a little water won't hurt!!!

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's a good post, Dieter, but unfortunately not practical for MOST fishermen. NOBODY I know takes containers aboard their boat to weight fish in, and I don't haul the fish around all day waiting to get back to the shore to weight them. It is also impractical to "wet yourself down" to protect the fish's slime, especially in the winter time. I am no biologist, but I suspect the slime replenishes itself very quickly. Cats are tough, resilient creatures, as as long as handled with common sense, and released quickly, MOST do just fine. Your post was well intended, I'm sure, but once again, TOTALLY IMPRACTICAL. BTW: A net, in my opinion is the quickest, most efficient way to land a cat. I've seen cats lost trying to get them in a position to get a lip gripper or hand on them. Tournament fishin' differs in that most folks have a huge live well to manage their big cats in.
    Bill in SC

6. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    I feel the same way Bill. I'm still however leaning to a lip gripper, although I did see an ad. for a stowmaster net. That net was huge but it had a telescoping handle and the net part folded in half.:wink:

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    On the water you can use the landing net to weigh the fish in. Just grab some netting with the hook on the scale. You can land the fish and quickly weigh it before you ever take it out of the net or put your hands on it for a pic. :wink: No wasted motion or time. All you need to know is how much your net weighs. This is just an option I use and like verses using the hook on the scale in the mouth or gills on fish that I'm gonna release.
    I really like threads like this.:big_smile: It allows us to share, learn and discuss how we do things.

8. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    Yea I agree poppop weighing the fish in the net does seem to be the best aproach. I never even thought about it until I saw catmaster James do it this past weakend.:smile2:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

Good thoughts, but if you don't use a net and it is a fish of any size you will probably have to hoist them out of the water by their jaw, kind of a contradiction of advice. I've done both, but my preference, what seems to cause the least wear and tear on the fish, is to use a landing net to get them into the boat and to weigh them, then pull the fish out of the net for a few pictures and a release.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My advice was intended for an ideal world where the fish would be caught, hook removed, and released. Anything more is a selfish desire of the angler, myself included. We do not have to weigh a fish, nor measure it, nor do we have to take our picture with it.

In Florida it is illegal to remove a goliath grouper from the water. You can not take it out of the water to remove the hook or even to take a photograph. This is done to protect the fish from bad handling practices.

I am advocating that we take those steps with catfish, but when the poster asked "what is the right way to handle a big cat", I think what I listed are the ideal steps to take.

Personally, I use a net to land fish and weigh larger fish in the net. The net is a "container" we all carry on our boat, and it does less damage than hoisting it by its jaw. Sadly for me, I have only had a couple of fish that I had to cradle to get photographs and I glad got wet to do so. Plus, if you are already wet the slime does not rub into your clothes!!

11. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive been using a pair of lip grippers "econo grips" for the last couple of years and have gotten to love them,

I've landed lots of fish up to 35lbs with them with not much problem you just have to control the fish and not let him roll after they are on "hand under his belly" Now that I know I like them, Im going to break down and get a set of Boga,s they are high dollar but not a whole lot more than a good net and they dont take up the room a net does,

One side note, dont hang the fish by the jaw out of water if you plan to CPR the fish, once again support his body like my avitar, bad for the fish to hang like that.
    Just MHO
    Puddle,
    This is part of a earlyer post that I made and I feel if you controll the fish, Grippers are a quick way to, land ,pic, and free, gives you something to hang onto while reviving the fish in the water the down side is the weighing, but personaly havent seen any bad afects of getting a quick weight..

12. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    All great advice and thanks for this thread

But for the simple and small minded folks like me, here's your instruction manual:

1. SNATCH THE CIRCLE HOOK OUT OF THE CORNER OF HIS MOUTH

2. QUICKLY LAY HIM BACK IN THE WATER AND THANK GOD WHILE YOU WATCH HIM SWIM OFF

13. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great posts guys. I agree with whats being said for sure. One of my pet peeves is when I see someone holding a big cat by the dorsal fins. Almost always, you hear a pop and it is either broke or dislocated. Dieter is right on the money in my opinion. Remember, these are guidelines. If you cannot practice all of them, atleast try to incorporate some of them. Every little bit helps. As a tournement fisherman, I am fortunate enough to have a 180 gallon livewell on board and if the fish seems the least bit stressed, I will put it in there and watch it and work with it for a while before releasing. I also believe in "burping" a fish if it is brought up from deep water or really fast. One last thought, as far as lip grippers and holding a fish by the lower jaw, the former world record blue Splash died from an absess ( not sure if I spelled that right) in his lower jaw that never healed. They are not sure if it was a previous injury but the thought is that it either ocurred from the hookset and fight (not much we can do about that) or from picking it up by the lower jaw. It was broke and infection set in. Just my opinion and not sure if it means anything but not my prefered method. Thanks for the great posts and keep 'em coming.

14. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Jason,
    After I wrote that,I got to thinking that all of my exsperiance is dealing with "realitively" small fish as I said up to about 35 lbs I,m not sure I could do what I was refering to with a fish that was 80+ pounds...:eek:oooh:
    For what its worth...Might change my way of thinking...
    Puddle

15. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    john i dont want to say that is the only way for sure but i think you are right. with fish of 50+ maybe smaller it could be harmful. this is why i like the boc, people sharing and learning.

16. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Very informative thread Jason.:wink: Thanks for all the information and participation from all who have weighed in on the topic.

I have done various different techniques dependant on the fish size. The bigger the fish the more excited I get and all I want to do is horse that beast in the boat. I have used a net to weigh fish before and it is an easy effective tool.
    This is one of those subjects that is somewhat sensetive for all. True, there is a right (ideal) way and there are many ways. I stand with Bill and believe that cats are extremely resiliant and can handle way more "abuse" than thought. Do what you do and do it with a clear conscious, these cats are our friends and I enjoy putting the Smackdown on them. If I am careful to cpr a fish that means I have helped better my odds of catching the same fish later. Just keep the ones you want to eat and do your best to minimize stress to the ones that will be released. By all means take pictures, lot's of pictures, that IS your trophy for a fine day on the water!

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < By all means take pictures, lot's of pictures, that IS your trophy for a fine day on the water! __________________>

Amen!

BB