In Search Of The Ohio River Leviathan

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wolfman, May 30, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have a passion for catfishing in the Ohio river and have fished several stretches from northern West Virginia all the way to western Kentucky. Ive had some encounters with some large catfish in my time. Some I have caught and then some that I have lost. Along with all the success stories, there is bound to be a few stories of short comings. Yes, this is gonna be one of those short comings stories. lol. Now remind you, Im no pro nor am I a novice at catfishing but enjoy getting out there chasing Mr Whiskers as much as the next person does. Ive always dreamed there will come the day of putting a 50 lb + fish in the net or the boat. In fact before last night's outing on the river I believe I have lost a big fish in every imaginable way as possible of losing one, but I never had this happen to me before.

Eric Simcox asked me if I wanted to do some drift fishing on the Ohio river down below the John T. Myers lock and dam. Well of course I said yes (does Howdy Doody have wooden...? , never mind. Anyways we loaded up and took off about 7:30pm in the evening. After launching we headed straight for the dam hoping to catch a few skipjack or shad before catfishing. There was skipjack everywhere and Eric put a few in the boat right off while I was struggling to even get a hit. Seemed they like Eric's feather-tailed jigs better than my curly -tail grub jigs. This should of told me what kind of night it was gonna be for me. I laid down the pole and got the cast net out hoping to net a few shad but only caught 1 skipjack. At this time Eric's pole was tangled up and he grabbed my pole and first cast caught a skipjack, then another and another. Ooooooo K, so now all of sudden they like the curly-tail grub jigs. Eric slayed them while I only got one.

We were done catching bait and motored around down father to some calmer current trying to mark fish on the graph. It didnt take long before we seen some good activity on the graph shut the motor down and started our first drift of the night. There were a few hits and take downs and we missed on a couple of strikes. Down goes the end my rod into the water...FISH ON! The battle starts with me struggling to get the pole out of the rod holder from the weight pulling down against the rod. After getting the rod out, this is when I realized that I had hooked the biggest behemoth monster in the area and he was pulling drag out like as if the reel was on free-spool. No problem right? I just wait him out and let him wear himself out then start reeling in. Wrong, this was a powerful fish and was still stripping off drag after about 4 or 5 minutes. When I looked down at my reel I noticed that I was getting low on line and needed to start doing something quick so I tightened the drag slightly and tried to get the monster turned around but it was hopeless as the drag was squealing from line being pulled out. When I tightened down more that is when it happened, no more weight, no more fight, no more fish, only that empty feeling of frustration and dis-belief. Looking back at the reel there was only about 1 layer of line left on the reel before the behemoth broke free. So yes, this was the largest fish that I have ever had on the end of the line and yes, it was the first time I lost a fish by my reel being spooled.

I really dont know if there was anything else I could of done differently to stop such a huge creature. I never got him turned around or even got one full rotation reeling in. Was it a giant blue cat...maybe, was it a monster flathead...possibly, was it a state record... very well could have been, was it a world record...who knows. The one thing I do know is that he is wearing my 10/0 king kahle hook with pride.

Now I have been in a slump for about at least a month maybe closer to two, and yes I can get down and give up because of all the bad luck lately. Then what would I ever accomplish if I did. Absolutely nothing, so today I took the time to change my lines on the reels to a heavier poundage. Made sure that all my knots were good and strong enough and try to eliminate any possible cause of short comings. I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week, but can increase my odds with a little prep and upgrading and even some overkill wouldnt hurt any. And my quest in the search of the Ohio river leviathan continues.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Walt,
    I feel your pain. That is the lure of what we do; everytime a rod goes down it could be "The One"...W

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can deffinatley sympathize. It's the worst when you never even get to see the fish. In that situation I usually find myself thinking, "Please, just let me get a good look at thwe fish so at least I know what it is..."

Not to be a smart guy or anything, but I don't think heavier line is the answer. Next time, you'll have even less line on the reel. I hate to, but I have to aks: why didn't you guys bring in the other lines and start the motor and go after the fish? Maybe if you had followed him a bit and gotten some line back you could have stayed with him until he tired out.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I want to wish you all the luck in your quest for the monster. Good luck & tight lines!

5. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Well atleast you didn't sit and watch some guy catch a 40lb, 20lb, and 15lb flathead while you got bug bites. Plus he kept them :angry:. Alwell hopefully the luck turns around.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good story Walt. I am truely sorry for your loss. LOL!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Hope you have better luck next time. If you want,i'll come down and get him for you...:big_smile:

8. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Let me say one thing, Walt was the first guy I met from the BOC 5-6 years ago. He has fished with me more then anyone else. And let me tell you when this happened he sat down in his chair and I think I seen a tear coming down from his eye when he said the magic word, I think I just had the world record on my line !! &&^%$%$*(*&^^%$%$%^^^ and I am not sure what that word was but my ears are still ringing..

Walt you will catch you a record here soon brother its just a matter of time.

LMAO

Your Friend always and Fishing Partner.

D/H:cool2:

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Eric is way to slow to follow a fish like that.:big_smile:
    PEte

10. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Sorry you didn' tat least get to see that fish Walt!

And I hate to tell you this Walt, but it was the TB curse! Eric cast that curse when y'all hit the water. While its commonly called the TB curse its real name is Twinkie Boy Curse and DH casts it so no one can out fish him when they are in his boat.

He is not going to let anyone outfish him in his boat at all. Just ask Stoney! LMAO

11. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Let me say this to your answer, I did reel up my lines and as I turned to walt he said I am out of line and before I could reach for the engine starter it was over with that quick, we didn't have much time to do anything. Of course I could sit here now and kick myself many times over instead of reeling in I could of started the engine and went after the fish first, but hindsight is always a problem .. LMAO

D/H

12. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for sharing the heartbreak with us...maybe someday you'll land the big one!

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Walt, that is terrible. But we've all lost some biguns. Just keep after it! Sooner or later you'll catch a bigun wearing that hook like a lip ring....yuk! LOL

BTW, DH told me he thought you had a world record Blugill on there. Said he saw it on the sonar and it had a jet assist strapped on it's back. LOL Is this true?

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great story Walt, all most made me cry. I only have one suggestion. Get one of those humongous reels that hold a thousand yards of thousand pound line! You may never see that fish again, but at least you will always have extra anchor rope handy! lol:lol:
    On second thought, that sounds an awful lot like a certain Ohio River Submarine to me! Who you been hang'n around with lately?:eek:oooh::smile2:

15. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry to hear that Walt. Well at least you will get another chance at a fish like that.

16. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Sorry you lost the big one walt, your hook will be lodged in his mouth for most the summer, along with probably 100 yards of a tracking device...i mean line. I think it happens to everyone, except DH. :lol: dreamcatcher, metalman and dh made fun of me when i geared up with the 200lb braid, 16/0 hook, and 4/0 penn senator rod on the ohio river. I call the rig "pimpdaddy." You're welcome to borrow it next time you go fishing with DH. Just make sure you dont hook that submarine that JW always talks about.

17. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i had a big cat or stiper spool me the other week i was fishing alone and it pulled almost all of the line on my okuma convector 45L it holds a little over 300 yards of 30lb test im kinda scared to head back to the river i had 14 inch shad and a 8/0 gamagatsu circle hook i just coulnt slow him down i might put a winch on the front of my boat...... once it got in the current it was over with anyone have any ideas

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i bet hes already spit that hook out. they can work a hook out of their mouths, ive seen it. i had a channel in a basket cage in clear water with a deep set hook, i was gonna just keep him and get the hook when i cleaned him, but less than an hour later my shiny hook was sittin on the bottom. somehow he spit it out.

19. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I know how that feeling losing a gaint cat. I've lost several. I've never come close to being spooled. But I have hooked seveal gaint flats from deepwater I couldn't bring up for anything. And no, they were snagged on anything. When you start hearing the fiberglass and eglass giving way , you know you got problems. Thats the time, it's man against monster cat, someone gots to give. And it sure and hell isn't going to be me.

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Walt, @ least u had a wet line!!!

:wink: