In search of some good catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sosa23, Oct 15, 2009.

1. sosa23

sosa23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am taking a friend of mine fishing this sunday (he has never been catfishing before) and I was wondering if anyone might be able to pinpoint where a good area to take him to ensure he does indeed catch something. I live in Southern Harnett county just north of Fort Bragg and I really do not want to travel no more than 1-1 1/2 hours away. I do have a boat so fishing from shore or on the boat is ok. I have fished Jordan, and 2 lakes on Fort Bragg and really have not had much luck. I could sure appreciate any help for my friend is deploying to Iraq in a couple of weeks and I want to make this fishing trip a memorable one. Thanks...

2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Rafael the Cape Fear river would be the nearest location for you. The Cape Fear would also offer you the chance of catching not only #'s but trophy's as well. The Cape Fear has good populations of channel, blue and flathead catfish. 2 former state record blues were caught at the Cape Fear river, the current and previous sate record flathead's were also caught at the Cape Fear. Both Sharron-Harris and Jordon have abundant populations of channel and white cats. You should be able to catch lots of small fish at either lake but would have next to no chance at a trophy. Good Luck!

3. sosa23

sosa23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Quint, you mentioned the Cape Fear. Where about would be the best area? I do have a boat (18ft Mariah Fish&Ski) so I can fish from my boat or from shore. I have never been on the Cape Fear with my boat and am a little reluctanct because I do not know the depths. So basically, where would be the best area to do both shore and boat fishing without me having to worry about hitting bottom? Anyone else who would like to provide any information I would greatly appreciate it. I want to ensure my friend has a fun time fishing before he deploys.

4. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Rafael I have not spent very much time on that section of the river. But my dad is there a lot. I know that there is a landing about 20 miles up river from lock #3 and from there down to lock #3 water depth should not be a concern. Not sure about up stream from there, will have to ask my dad. There is also a ramp just below lock #3 and water depth is not a concern from that point on. Fish holes, creek mouths, and struture like wood or rock. If after #'s use small bait and keep moveing, dont sit in a spot over 30 min with out a bite. For trophy fish use large cut and live bait and fish what your gut tells you is a key spot and be patient. Mabe some of the local guy's can offer you more info. Good Luck!