In search of my first baitcaster.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Burks, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Burks

Burks New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Recently my old closed face reel was broken due to poor storage. During my move to Toledo a box was crushed against the side of the truck and that box had the reel in it.

I'm new to the whole baitcaster reel and don't want to buy one and be unhappy with it. Is it possible to get a reel that not only can handle cats up to 40lbs but be used to bass fish with as well? It has to be easy to use, maintain, and be a good caster because the places I fish are pretty shallow until 30-40 yards out and then they drop off. One that helps keep backlashes down would be nice as well.

Please keep price in consideration. Us college students are kind of strapped for cash ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I had a diawa triforce(bass baitcaster) that brought in a 41 this year. The abu 6000's are a great reasonable reel as are the 6500's. Any of these will pull in a big catfish or bass and never miss a beat. If you want to catfish and bass use powerpro on it, with its small diameter you can use a heavier line with the same results as a smaller mono for bass fishin. Hope it helps.

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Shimano makes some affordable baitcast reels, and I haven't heard anyone talk bad about them yet. I would go for the Abu 6000. Under $60 at most Wall Marts.

Ray

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well for $40 at Wal-Mart you can get a Shakespheare Tidewater reel that is great esspecialy for the money. But it is kinda big for your first one.

I guess for your first one I would go with what Rainman said.....the abu 6000.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Like the others said an abu 6000 or 6500 sounds like the reel for you!

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    if you go to Catfish Connection there are a few reels for under $40 made by Okuma the CL202L is $26.75 and the CL452L is $30.60, both have the line out alarm and will hold #20 lb test and up ..and if you use braided line then you can use it for bass fishing aswell
    Click here VVVVVVV
    http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I would have to agree with Rainman.

8. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i have 2 okumas dont do much bass fishing,but they are great for big cats!:)

9. Burks

Burks New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the advice. I did some reading on the Abu 6000 and it looks like that is what I'll get.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I dont think you will be dissapointed. That is a nice reel.:)

11. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

I have three ABU 6001TG's and I love em!:) They are great reels and you can't go wrong with them.

Frank