In Search of A Monster: My attempts to land a trophy. IN PROGRESS

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by OhioRiver, Jul 24, 2008.

1. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've decided to keep a journal of my attempts to catch my first "big" cat. Hopefully someone enjoys it lol.:smile2:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

July 23, 2008

It was a little cooler at the river today, I wasn't dripping with sweat like I normally am, although it was still pretty warm. I decided to put new line on my 3 catfish poles, something that I would feel a little more comfortable using, so I chose 25 lb mono. I used a rig that a guy told me about on here a few days ago.

I began fishing at about 5:45pm. I was trying to catch some bait with worms, but they werent biting too well. One of the guys who normally fish beside me showed up, so we began talking. He ended up hooking a big skipjack with a red and white spoon, but it got off at the bank, bummer! I still hadn't caught any bait and it was about 7pm by this time. Another guy showed up, and within 10 minutes of him being there, I started catching bluegills. I took one and put it on one of my poles and threw it as far as I could get it out into the river. It was a very lively bluegill, my rod tip kept bouncing for a long time. I took another bluegill and cut it up. Finally I had all 3 poles in the water.
    About 2 hours went by and I hadn't had a single bite on an of my poles. The pole with the live bluegill on it had acted up a time or 2, as if something was swimming close to the bluegill. I saw the rod tip bend about 10 inches once, but thats as far as it went. Nothing else happened for the rest of the night.
    At 9:45 everyone decided to leave since nothing was happening, so I reeled in my 2 cutbait poles. Then I picked up the live bluegill pole and began reeling in. The bluegill felt kinda heavy as I reeled it in. I thought I had snagged on a stick or something. Finally I got it close to the bank and I saw a fish on my line that wasn't the bluegill I had on it earlier. It was a 2 lb flathead! I had no idea that it was on there. Not a monster by far, but the 2nd biggest flathead I had ever caught.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if your using live bait like that instead of trying to throw across the river just cast 20 or 30ft off the bank and let the bait do the rest.. those big flatheads start trolling the banks and shallows in the darkness and you have a much better chance of hanging into one in the shallower water than throwing to the middle of the river! you been catching any other fish recently?

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Good luck on your journey! the big ones always take you by surprise, and remember BE PATIENT!!!:wink:

P.s there is a great artical in the member library by "catfishrollo" it is called the five things a begginer flathead fisherman should know, it should be of some use, great info for pointing someone in the right direction for catching MONSTERS!

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with biga...all my bigger flatties have come no more than about 20 feet from the bank. Oh, and if your not fishing around any sort of major structure you may wanna give that a try. Good luck brother and let us know how it goes.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This sure seems interesting, Keep us updated and I hope you catch a monster soon

6. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey all, thanks for the tips! I still have a lot of bugs to work out lol.

........So lastnite I went up to the dam at Cannelton. I went to the Ky side with my mom, because she loves the river. I threw my castnet out a few times and didnt catch a darn thing. Then I decided to try using red worms to catch some bait. I ended up catching a couple bluegills and a few perch (drums). I threw one of the bluegills out on a pole, and left it alone. Then I took one of the perch and cut it up and put a piece of it on my other pole and threw that one out as well.

About 2 hours later it was dark. I hadn't gotten a single bite at all on my catfish bait. Some people were fishing pretty close to us, and I saw one of them reel in a 3lb flathead, so I figured it was about time for them to start biting. They gave me the fish, and I put it in my 5 gallon bucket. I decided to get another pole set up, so I looked in the bucket for another live bluegill that we had caught (I was unaware that the dumb thing flopped out of the bucket over an hour before that time). It wasnt there, so I grabbed the only other kind of fish I had caught....a perch (drum). I put the hook through the tail and threw it out about 30 feet (thanks to some tips I got from people on here =] thanks! ) and let it sit there.

After about 15 minutes of sitting there without any luck, I grabbed another pole that had a spoon on it and tried catching some sauger since my mom just got done catching one herself. While I was throwing out, I noticed the pole with the perch on it was bending a little bit every now and then, but I assumed it was the bait swimming around. Well after about 5 minutes I deceded to check my bait. I picked up the pole and began reeling in.... and of course Something a little bigger than my bait was on there. 10 seconds later I had a decent 3-4 lb flatty on the bank. I threw it in the bucket and grabbed another perch (drum). This one was barely able to swim around, and I figured the fresh water out in the river would revive it, so I hooked it just like the last one. And threw it out.

20 minutes later I was sitting there fishing with red worms again because I was completely out of live bait, except for what was out in the water already. I think it was about 10pm by now, and I looked at my poles.... The one with the bluegill hadnt moved a bit all night. The cutbait I had on all night didnt get a nibble. The pole I had with the white perch (drum) on it (which is a 5.5 foot heavy action ocean rod) was bent with the tip almost in the water!!!!! And it was bending more and more, as if a whale had snagged the hook on its side while swimming by. I jumped at it and grabbed it, gave a nice jerk on it, and WHAM. My line broke without me putting 2 lbs of pressure on it!!! I was disgusted! I had just missed the biggest probable catfish of my life! So much for that 30 lb mono being 30 lb mono. Try 2 lb.

When I reeled in the broken line, I took hold of the end and found that it had cuts and abrasions all up and down it. No wonder it had snapped. And I just put brand new line on it recently! I took every pole that I had the 30 lb line on and stripped them clean. I will NOT use cheap line anymore. Just because it says 30 lbs doesnt mean its good. And the price shoulda tipped me off because it was only $ 2 something for 500 yards.

...........................................AHHHH! Stupid line. :angry:

AS FOR THE 2 FLATTYS AND 1 SAUGER IN THE BUCKET.... Well I took em home, put the bucket on the porch, went to get a pair of pliars to skin the flattys, and when I went out to begin skinning them, viola, they were GONE! The bucket was tipped over, and 2 of my dogs were licking the slime out of the bucket. NEED I SAY MORE?!

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sorry to hear about missing the big one. That's one thing i always do whenever I rebait/catch something is check the knot and a good portion of the line for any sort of roughness. About all I use is 30lb mono when flathead fishing...if you had your drag set too tight, that could have been another factor. I always use a fairly light drag setting and the only time I ever horse a fish is when it is getting close to a big snag that I know for sure he will break off in. But it sounds like you've got a descent spot there, wouldn't hurt to go back soon:wink:

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use Berkley's Trilene Big game mono. I use 30 and 50 pound line. In my eyes it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You can pick it up in most places for around ten dollars. It is real tough line and I have caught tons of big fish on that line. I normally use the dark green. But i have seen it in bright green and white. Put that on there and I bet you wont snap it near as easy. And while you are fishing if your reels have them, set bait clickers so the fish can run with your bluegill or drum. it lets them get a better hold on the bait making for a better hook set. and if you dont have bait clickers, loosen up your drag to where they can run with it and as they are running hold your rod tip in the air and tighten your drag up and let the fish bring your rod tip down and then set the hook on them that way. thats what i used to do before i went to abu garcia baitcasters with the clickers. and i had a lot of luck useing those. And to catch skipjack if you are by the dam try throwing out what is called a sabiki rig. those can be picked up for just a few bucs. and skipjack love them. or try useing little crappie jigs. white i find to normally work the best. Just keep working and eventually the big one will come. just dont get over excited when the big one does hit and try to hog him. just take your time and let your rod and reel with your drag do the work for you.

9. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    I agree with Steve...Trilene Big Game is excellent as is Powerpro. I use PowerPro as my mainline (80lb test) and Trilene (50lb test) for my leaders. Alot of my friends use Trilene as their mainline and love it, so it must be great line...lol

10. willybojo

willybojo New Member

State:
    fishers, in
    eric,
    hey bro'. i have been planning a getaway for a few guys i like to fish with here in indy. we will be coming down friday night and staying the weekend at rocky pointe. it would be cool to hook up w/you as i am yet to fish with anyone from the boc (besides HBIII who knows less than i do). also it would be cool to scout out some spots w/you since you live in the area. pm me or call my cell (317)809-3286 so we can make it happen this weekend.

11. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got a new (old) reel... Its a Penn Jigmaster 500. Its on a heavy rod. I took it out lastnite for the first time. The fish weren't biting too well on red worms, but I managed to catch a big chub... and another small fish. I put the small fish on whole and threw it out alive, and took the chub and cut it in half... Nothing was going on....until dark that is.

I was sitting by one of my rods, and I heard the clicker start going to town on one of my other rods, but by the time I got there, it had quit... So I watched it for a minute or 2, and finally it bit again. I tried to set the hook, but I missed it.

10 minutes later the pole that I had the live bait on started moving, I picked it up and set the hook... This time I reeled in a 2 lb flatty. At least I caught something lol.

5 minutes later the clicker started singing on the pole that I had missed the first fish on, so I ran over and got ready to set the hook, but then it stopped clicking, and instantly my other pole's clicker was actually buzzing, I dropped my first pole, and ran to the second, the clicker was still buzzing a hundred miles an hour, and I set the hook. All I know, is there was a whale on the other end of that line. I was being pulled towards the water!!! Ive never felt a fish pull that hard in all my life!

But as the story goes, the fish took about 100 feet of line off my reel before it got loose. I reeled in a piece of cutbait. It was still really fun though just to have that whale on the line, and the brief fight was worth the trip :)

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Eric, The next time you get one of those runs resist that urge to instantly set the hook. Just engage the reel and let the fish load up on the rod till you feel a head shake or an extra tug. Thats when you should set the hook. Then reel down and set it again just not like you are trying to pull him out of the water. He should be hooked. You don't say what size hooks you are using but I wouldn't use anything less than 8/0. Better would be 10/0. And Gamma hooks are one of the best, Good luck.