In SC Temporarily

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zmany2k, Nov 20, 2008.

1. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    In the columbia area until mid dec. Trying to get in touch with some folks who know the waters around here and how to fish them. I've been to lake murry a few times on a rental boat, but only caught a bunch of those big monster bluegill these SC people call shellcrackers. Wouldn't mind hooking into some cats. whether they're big or small, doesn't matter. so far i've only caught one 2# blue on Ft Jackson, but that just whetted my appetite for some more cats.

If anyones willing to help a poor lost army guy out, i'd be obliged. just let me know what to bring tackle wise. I've currewntly got a temp setup i picked up at wally world. two uglies. ones an ultra-light, and the other's a med-hev. then i've got a small bit of terminal tackle that i picked up as well. I'm kinda looking for an excuse to pick up another bigger cat rod though.

thanks in advance.

SGT Zac

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    SGT Zac, First off let me say thanks for being in the military! I appreciate those that serve and protect this great country. I enjoy my freedoms and know that they are costly thanks for your service.

Now, Fishing! I live just a few miles south of Columbia, have a boat and know of a few places to catch BIG cat's. Sound good? PM me and we will hook up sometime.

3. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    If you don't mind hanging out with a former Marine Sgt and you feel like making the drive to Greenwood (only about 70mi NW of Columbia), the Lakelands crew would be MORE THAN HAPPY to take you out. :big_smile:

4. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Zac- Be forewarned, that former Marine sgt. is a nut case in it's purest form! :wink: You may want to go armed and ready! Also he is a VOL's fan........You know them kind I'm sure!

Ever seen "Deliverance"! Get my drift?

5. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Can ya guess which finger you're getting right now, Rambo? Zac, don't listen to him. He's a know-it-all Cock fan. Catchin' what I mean?

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Remember he is from the great state of Ohio, I remeber putting them Buckeyes in there place in two different bowl games! :smile2::smile2:

Now get back to finding a new coach! :wink:

7. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Find your way to Santee,S.C. and go over behind the Locks on Lake Moultrie with some big tackle. I was there yesterday and the big blues are there to be caught. Its deep water there and the fishing is just getting good for the winter there. If you need a sure fired way to be successful give me a P.M. and I will reply with valuable knowledge.

Attached Files:

8. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    You all are crazy. It's always Ohio, all the way. We're a lot better at horsepower though than we are football. And you know we're great at football and basketball. (Pro doesn't count this year:eek:oooh:)

Yeah, I'll have to get with you about heading up north a bit. I know i was looking into somethign on the SC website about trout fishing up there. I know I got kinda hooked on brookies back in germany. They're just such a gorgeous fish. Just as pretty as a baby blue.

I think I might even be able to swallow my pride and drop my standards in the name of fishing and go fishing with a former jarheaded devil-dog.:big_smile:

9. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    CarolinaCatJack you was a Marine Sgt?

10. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    He sho was! He had a pink backpack and a Barbie parachute in it! :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:

11. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Yup. For four of the best years of my life, I was a musician in the President's Own and the Commandant's Own. Loved every minute of it....oh, and Rambo.....Shut ya mouth.

12. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Careful Zac.....You're starting to sound like ol' Sunbird Rambo over there, and that AIN'T good.

13. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Yeah, i'll take it easy. have to remember though, i'm still active duty and all cranked full of hooah and the tears of poor little privates that are tired doing pushups.:wink:

Thanks for the responses though. I was really starting to think that there weren't any fish in SC and that it was the most hateful place on earth. So far, just running around the lake (murry) and the towns around here, i've only come upon one person that actually smiled when I said hi.

They must not have had much luck and been in a foul mood. SC can't be that bad. I know going out and catching a livewell full of 1-2lb bluegill (shellcracker) with the one guy I've met so far has brightened me up on the state just a bit.

Now I'm just looking for a decent enough reason to want to come back someday.

Thanks guys, maybe if you all ever come up to ohio, I can return the favor.

14. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Yeah, i'll take it easy. have to remember though, i'm still active duty and all cranked full of hooah and the tears of poor little privates that are tired doing pushups.:wink:

Just remember.....We were one of those whiny little bass-turds once-up-a-time....

Thanks for the responses though. I was really starting to think that there weren't any fish in SC and that it was the most hateful place on earth. So far, just running around the lake (murry) and the towns around here, i've only come upon one person that actually smiled when I said hi.

That's Columbia for you. I love this state, but folks in Columbia have a different mind-set. Not a bad one, just different....

They must not have had much luck and been in a foul mood. SC can't be that bad. I know going out and catching a livewell full of 1-2lb bluegill (shellcracker) with the one guy I've met so far has brightened me up on the state just a bit.

Good! Now I know who I can take to catch all my bait for me!

Now I'm just looking for a decent enough reason to want to come back someday.

SC chapter of the BOC ain't enough for ya?!

Thanks guys, maybe if you all ever come up to ohio, I can return the favor.

Lookin' forward to it!:big_smile:

15. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    If i'd had my head screwed on right, I would've posted on here just as soon as I new I was going to recruiter school. Probably would've enjoyed my time down here quite a good deal better.:tounge_out:

16. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    That's perfectly OK. You're here now and there's fishin' to be done!!

17. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    sounds like a plan. Somebody just let me know and i'm hitting the highway to the lake/river/boat ramp.

Can't wait to see if these stories are true about 20#+ cats all day long in SC.

18. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    anyone going out this weekend and want someone to go with you?

think i'm getting ready to drive over to this pond on post here and freeze for awhile. maybe drown some doughball and night crawlers.